Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where to buy a lightweight flywheel (K Series 1.6)

riggsbie

Hi all,

Where can I get hold of a lightweight flywheel for my 1.6 K series ??

I see that CC have them for £250, is it best to get one from CC or is there an alternate supplier ?

Also, who, where and how much do decent 4 - 2 - 1 exhaust manifolds cost ?

Any advice would be appreciated..... 😬

Riggsbie

I'd get it from CC. It's the right size, it's been tested widely in the caterham application, it's safe and it works.

Flywheels are something you should be quite wary of - there have been a (small) number of catastrophic failures of badly made/lightened/designed flywheels over the years - so it make sense (to me) to get something you can trust.

Now - if you decided to spend £250 on the lightweight flywheel at CC - it might be worth considering going the whole-hog and paying £300 for the 'ultimate' lightweight flywheel they offer - the R500 version. It might be a step too-far depending on how you intend to use the car, but a £50 premium sounded like a such good idea to me that I spec'd one for my project engine.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles,

What is the big difference between the CC lightweight flywheel and the R500 version ?? Just a lot more weight taken out ??

How does this affect "real-world" engine performance ?? Does it just allow incredibly fast engine engine revving ?

Any experience would be helpful, my car spends 90% of it's life on the roads, but I do go on a couple of track days every year 😬

Riggsbie

The R500 (actually, the label on the packaging says R3/4/500...) is lighter - that's it.

I'm unqualified to say what the real-world differences are - my engine goes in on Saturday 😬. Theoretically, the revs will rise and fall quicker when the engine is unloaded - so you should need less of a blip on downchanges and possibly make quicker up-changes (>)

I've got a couple of piccies of the flywheel here

You can see that substantial amounts of material have been removed.

With luck, I'll be able to post some driving impressions next-week. Most of my driving is on the road, so it should be relevant to you too.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com