Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SuperSport engine kit content for 1400K

Marco7

I was looking for any information concerning the 1400K supersport engine kit: what's exactly been tuned in the cylinder head ???

I know there are specific camshafts and mechanical tappets, but are there other things I should know in there ?

Also, I couldn't find anywhere what precise Rover engine model was used as a basis for this. Has someone this information ?

Thanks.

SS is basically just cams and a reprogrammed ECU. No head-work. Tappets are still hydraulic AFAIK.

Not sure if you are asking;

i) where to go next from an existing 1.4SS or,

ii) whether the SS kit is a worthwhile addition to an otherwise standard engine

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

In fact, 1600K supersport has nothing in common with 1400K supersport, a lot has been done on the head. Hydraulic tapets have been replaced by mechanical ones (not sure about the word).

I actually have that 1400K and before replacing the head gasket, I d like to know a little about all this as the mileage may require more repairing.

So my Rover local guy wants me to provide him maximum information about the parts in there (valve springs, valve guide, rocker arms ...)

Another information I had today from Caterham Cars: there is no more parts available for them and they haven't told me more about these engines...

The mechanical followers were only in the 1400 race engines, most 1400SS just use the normal hydraulic ones.

The valves and springs are standard Rover 1400 parts, Dave Andrews web site has details of the camshafts. The heads are standard and the inlet manifold is a Caterham part.

The nearest Rover car seems to be a Metro 1.4 GTi (about the only Rover car using the k-series in the early 1990's)

What's weird is that the owner's guide refers to mechanical tappets for SuperSport engine (and the 1.6K was not yet referenced in there ...).

For the valves and springs, this is good news ;)

I should now just find the exact engine model (as 114GTI have been built with many different models if I believe what my K-dealer told me).

I believe it was the "Metro" GTi with Mpi (multi point injection) The Rover 114 came later.

In standard form it produced 103bhp, with cams and ECU in Caterham SS guise it produced 128bhp. I can't remember if mech tappets came with all 1400's but they were standard on the race cars.

This engine has the cast inlet manifold, (similar to the vvc one) although in Rover use 'supersport' was not cast into it.

Hope this helps.

Tom

edited to say...

There was no additional head work done on this engine, that was a stipulation of the project.

Edited by - tom7 on 31 Jan 2005 21:16:14

Thanks, in fact, the Metro was model 114 GTI 16v. There is a terrible mess with names around 😬

The mech tappets were NOT on the 1400K, just 1400K supersport (as told in my owner's guide).

I think that's OK for the cyl head. Now what interests me is the engine number has written on the block. It should read "1400K........" if someone has the number of his engine, that could ok else I ll run into this :)

As someone has said, originally only race 1400SSs had mechanical tappets, other 1400SSs had standard hydraulic valves (like mine).

Nearest Rover engine was that fitted to Metro GTI 16V. This is exactly the engine fitted to the NON-SS 1400.

Jerry Parker

L7 SVN

1.4 Supersport

OK, that makes me more comfortable...

Has someone his engine number in mind ?

It should be something like 14K4Fxxxxxx where the two first x digits may tell me the exact engine model.

I haven't been able to find it on mine ... maybe behind the starter or the 4 in 1 collector ...

the rover engine number is ground off the block by Caterham to fit the starter motor. they stamp a new engine number of their own on the edge of the ladder frame.

Can confirm most supersports had hydraulic followers, mine did. On my old 1400SS I replaced my standard engine with a race one and this had mechanical tappets.

Supersport cams are the same across 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 I believe (for hydraulic). I believe the cams for the 1.4 with mechanical tappets was slightly different.

Early 1.4 heads were 'low port' heads which were only on the 1.4. Later the 1.4's got 'high port' heads which were the same as a 1.6 and a 1.8. I would assume most of the head parts are interchangeable though.

Early 1.4SS had cast ali inlet manifolds. Later they got plastic ones like all the others.

check out dave andrews website and the difference in heads