Click here if you are having website access problems ×

No Brake Lights

Stelios

Driving down the A217 today I was shouted at by a guy driving a Jensen Healey behind me that I had no brake lights. Pulled into a pub car park on the A25 and looked at the reflection of the back of my Seven in another car's bodywork and the brake lights were working. Checked again when I got home and the lights were, again, working.

Have just been out to put the dustcover on the car and the brake lights aren't working.

The reverse light is working (as are all other lights in the rear light clusters) so it's not the fuse. The brakes work and the brake fluid is fine. The wiring going into the loom seems secure.

Anyone got any ideas as to where the dodgy contact might be?

Thanks in advance.

Stelios the Bubble *confused*

Click here for my Caterham 7 page or here for some photos

Stelios,

Whip the pedal box cover off and take a look at the brake light switch. Sounds like it may have come loose/need adjusting.

10 minute job requiring one x head screwdriver and a spanner if I've guessed the caused correctly.

Steve.

Another common problem with the brake light switch is they get dirt inside, remove the switch, carefully prise the tab on the bottom of the switch out to open it up,... you will end up with a spring loaded plunger and some copper contacts, simply clean the contacts on the plunger and also the fixed contacts in the switch housing ( they attach to the terminals) with some electircal contact cleaner... or WD40 works ok as well... reassemble.. and Bobs uncle... 15 min job.. *thumbup*

'Pinky Pics' here

You don't say what year your car is.

Pre 93 Caterham used to use a hydraulic switch inserted into a tee piece in the rear brake circuit. These are notorious for going stiff so that with normal braking the lights are not triggered. You have to really stand on the pedal to get them on. Not ideal when even light braking can cause such a light car to slow dramatically. Usual solution is to swop to the later mechanical switch, see below.

Post 93 they switched to a mechanical switch on the pedal, much less prone to problems. But looking at your pictures it appears to be newer than 93 so likely to be a mechanical switch.