Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How much motion lotion does it take?

CHRIS CLARK

I know the object of owning a Caterham is not for fuel economy, but chatting with other owners seems to give huge variations!

If one removes track days from the equation (for obvious reasons)what do they do to the gallon? Yes I know it should be litres etc but I was born at the start of the series 2 Lotus Seven!!!

A quick straw pole amongst fellow club members on a recent outing gave these rough results:-

1600 Sprint--------------Approx 19 mpg

1700 S/Sprint------------ " 23 mpg

1400 K S/Sport----------- " 38 mpg

( The Cossy 1700 I borrowed was around 15 mpg on 'normal' fast runs and 10 mpg at rapid rate!).

Well what are the figures for others out there?

My 2.0 litre 16v Vauxhall, about 210 bhp, seems pretty economical on the road at about 25mpg driving in mixed traffic, but with the obligatory regulars blasts. Please dont tell the wife what this figure drops down to when sprinting and hillclimbing...she'd make me sell it for an MX 5 !!!! I reckon about 10mpg.

2.0 16v Vauxhall

QED Q420 cams, TB injection, DTA ignition mapped by John Noble Motorsports

When it was on carbs - approx 18 mpg

Now - road use 26mpg

- Track use - Like Andrew's car - just drinks the stuff

- probably about 10mpg if not less!

Alex

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

http://www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

As a general rule, any Caterham (1600 Sprint to 230bhp Vauxhall) running on a pair of Webers will return around 20mpg in average road use. In the unlikely event that an enthusiastic driver has a go, this might get a bit worse......

This is largely due to the lack of any vacuum advance mechanism to provide needed extra advance under part throttle conditions (which on the road happens most of the time even with looney drivers).

3D mapped ignition can usually improve this by between 15% - 25%, because it adjusts the timing to increase advance at light throttle (if correctly mapped).