Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch - hydraulic or cable?

Rick W

I've got a vvc engine and therefore have a hydraulic clutch. I believe vvc cars have to go down this route 'cos the vvc mechs take up too much space to allow a cable system. However I'm planning a winter upgrade. If I go down the solid cam route (via DVA of course) and lose the vvc mechs does that mean I could swap to a cable clutch? Are there any benefits to this? Or is the vvc casing retained and therefore the hydraulic system?

Why would you want to change from hydraulic to cable when everyone else spends fotunes (well a few quid) going the opposite way. Keep the hydraulics.

Just for the record, I fitted hydraulics after the 3rd cable broke in 18 months. That was 10 years ago and I've never thought about it since.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

When you say hydraulic I assume you mean a slave cylinder bolted on somehwere outside the bellhousing working the same release arm as the cable?

If so then the best thing to do is to change to a hydraulic system with concentric release bearing fitted on the gearbox nose and carrying the release bearing directly. This does away with the fabricated release arm completely (potential failure point, and very expensive) and improves the geometry of the release bearing travel.

Thanks,

Norman, I wasn't so much saying I wanted to go that route - it was just that just about every other K engined car seems to have a cable clutch and I assumed there was some benefit- so grateful for you to clarify the point.

Chelspeed, that sounds interesting. Given that my crb is alreading whinging at the 4.5k stage I'd like a more reliable mech. What is the concentric bearing from and where do I get one? Have many folks gone down this route?

Rick, I've got a concentric crb. Worth having but unless someone comes up with a ready made kit you will have to configure the spacings yourselves. I'm sure someone will know who supplies a kit for K's. Not susre it will save crb's though, I think crb failure is to do with pre-load.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

The concentric slave cylinders are made by a few people, standard on saabs of some kind. Now made specially for motorsport by titan I think. Available from Burtons, Demon Tweeks, SBD etc etc.

The one I've got is very similar to item 3 at the bottom of page 252 in the current Demon Tweeks catalogue if you have one. Bolts directly onto the front of the gearbox in place of what I call the trumpet, the round plate with a seal in with the metal sleeve that the release bearing slides on.

Yes, slave cylinder seals. for which the engine needs to be pulled out. Although this is not particularly difficult (if you are confident with spanners) it does take significantly longer than replacing a clutch cable (and is not usualy practical on a track day or at the side of the road !)