Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Numpty LSD Question

C7

Although I won't pretend to know the full technical details.

A normal diff allows one wheel to spin faster than the other so when you go round corners they can turn at different speeds and not try to push forwards. This means if you start one wheel spinning all the power goes to that wheel and none to the non spinning wheel.

The LSD as its name suggests limits the amount of slip between the wheels so if one spins the other will still turn which means if you get both spinning then you can go round and round to your hearts content.

This is why some real 4x4's have diff locks so if they get one wheel in slippery ground or in the air they can still make progress. If you have ever got a car stuck in mud and one wheel starts spinning then you can't get out. The LSD allows the other wheel to still turn.

Probably not as good as A&T's description but hopefully it helps.

A slowly increasing number of photos here plus a shameless link to my company as I cannot do it from Blatchat.

Hope no-one minds but can I hijack this thread for some advice?

I test drove a Seven recently that is fitted with a Quaiffe 'box and although I didn't find it too loud, it did make a loud droning/whining noise when coasting. As soon as you apply a bit of throttle the noise pretty much disappears. Is this normal or could the noise be related to a problem or something else?

Thanks for any advice.