Click here if you are having website access problems ×

caterham fireblade...

domster

Laurence,

OK my comments apply to the Orange colour that McLaren painted all their F1 cars for about 20 years. This paint is a bad choice if you do not keep the car in a dark garage for most of its life, hence why Caterham will not supply cars using this or any other Dayglo paint.

Now the paint Caterham's paint shop TSK use to paint Sevens is not Sikkens but Glasurite, as they source all their paints from a singlke supplier. If Sikkens is £50 per litre thats of litle help unless you get someone inexperienced in painting Sevens to paint it. None of the paint manufacturers should guarantee against fading as this paint will fade, very quickly if the vehicle is stored in daylight. Dayglo hold the rights to the pigmentation used in all flourescent applications including Stabillo markers etc. They certainly do not guarantee their pigmementation for very long at all (I once tried to get a Dayglo Green for my car though DayGlo Corp in the US)

The Sikkens stuff is used on Dynorods Vans - it does not take long to see the money ios better spent on the more stable Glasurit system.

The Glasurit system uses a UV protective laquer of a special formula specifically for the Glasurit flourescent system.

The two Superlights which were painted Dayglo yellow used the Sikkens laquer as a cost saving exercise on Glasurite base, and the finish faded badly in a matter of weeks.

Fat Arn

See a meaty Vauxhall car here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here

well as my name got mentioned a while back and I am only just catching up

the offical colour caterham would not do my car in was 'Marlboro Red' which is a day glo, in the end it was painted Lotus 'Chrome orange' which is a metalic orange found on MK1 Elises

pictures at http://www.margel.net/caterham

Caterham are picking it up today to see if they can get the bloody thing to start :-(

Rob

Well, I am the happy owner of an almost 4 year old Dayglo (Marlboro Orange/Red) Superlight and I have protected the paint from fading by keeping it covered in a layer of muck and corruption every time it emerges from the garage.

When I clean it people complain that it is hideously bright and cannot imagine it has ever been brighter.

The only paint fading I have experienced has been on the nose and wings which have faded to a complete dimpled black colour... Don't pay any heed to the vicious rumour that I knocked off the corners and had to replace with Arnie's finest natural carbon fibre components... smile.gif

Seriously now, looking under the wheel arches confirms that the colour has faded, but it doesn't look bad in any conventional sense.

When the time comes for a respray or a reskin I will go direct to TSK and plump for the same colour again.

Arnie, You are right that dayglo fades and very fast without varnish protection but also important is the undercoat witch must be mixing white. But frankley i do not care if the paint fades or not as long as they sponser my seven by a donation every last week of the month. wink.gif

Aha Ellie a professional connection....

Peter, isn't it about time you told the "I've got a great colour for my car that'll really go well with carbon fibre story"??? Thats the only time I ever saw you lost for words.....

Fat Arn

See a meaty Vauxhall car here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here

Edited by - fat arnie on 1 Aug 2001 20:07:17

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys sorry to drag this to the top again, but it did seem to degenerate into a discourse on the longevity, or not, of paint types, and colours, so what are the chassis differences of a 'cycle engined Caterham and a real Caterham!!!!Does it pick up with the same mounting points, is gearbox mount different, what's the problems likely to be in retro fitting to an earlier chassis? (1982). Is there a variation between the various chassis for the range of motorcycle engines, or , is it just the form of the mounting hardware, be real interested for some info, got to retire the X-flow some time.

Regards Nigel.

It's completely different. Gearboxes are mounted in the tunnel in a "normal" Caterham, whereas the bike engine and box sits in the engine bay.

It's a re-engineering job to get a bike engine to fit in your crossflow chassis. Don't forget the reverser box, which sits in the forward part of the tunnel.

Don't think I'd attempt this conversion myself. Speak to someone who's already done it.

• 2 weeks later...

paul gave me a blast in the pre-production fireblade 2 weeks ago. It was totally fantastic i can tell you. Luckily paul looks after my 1.4k road sport (original pre production prototype 0 of 30) so that got me the ride. I was well impressed, between 4 and 10k on the rev counter is was pure performance, he didnt need to go over 10k, says there is not that much pull after it.

If i had to choose again which caterham to buy this would be at the top of my list

Sean