Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine block to starter motor clearance

Englishmaninwales

Is there anybody with their 1600/1800 K engine presently out of the car able to send me a photograph of the modified area necessary to clear the starter motor? (My existing engine is the earlier 1400 with different casting pattern).

I can see that the stiffening web and engine number need the attention of a grinder, but it would be nice to see what it should look like before I make a dog's dinner of my nice new block!!

Thanks

Malcolm

• Leadership Team

Malcolm,

Take plenty off *thumbup* If you need to replace the starter motor, the latest Caterham offering is a tidy little Czech made unit with an underslung solenoid - it needs more grinding away than the original that you'll currently have. When you get round to removing the 1400 engine, you'll be able to remove the bellhousing from the gearbox (4 bolts) to trial fit the starter to the 1800 block. You can grind away a little more at that stage - but not a good idea to ignor it and discover you can't fit the starter when you've bolted the engine in *confused*

Stu.

I was fitting a Lucas starter on a friends 1.4 yesterday and noted that very little fettling had been done by CC as compared to my old 1.6 block which had a Magnetti Merrelli starter fitted. So what I am saying is it depends on which starter you are fitting. My advise is offer up the bellhousing to the block and trial fit the starter and only remove enough to get it to fit, the more web you remove the more you weaken / loose stiffness in the block.