Click here if you are having website access problems ×

7" ACB10 tyre on 6" rim - Any advice

Brad Tipp

I've got the standard 6" rims the back of my Superlight 1.6. Having had the engine upgraded I'm in need of more rear end grip. Does anyone have anyknowledge of putting the 7" 22 diameter ACB10 on the 6" rim? The Avon cooper web site says it's O.K. for rims of 5.5 - 7.5.

I'm trying to avoid the issues with having bigger rims that then mean I have to relocate the anti roll bar.

All (good) advice readily accepted.

I also run Avon 7" slciks (fronts of the Super Light's) on all 4 of my R13*6" rims.

To be honest, i notice little difference over the ACB 10's (which also last longer). There is a bit though.

Jase.

So my tyre supplier tells me he can get three different compounds!!

A hard one (A316357 apparantly) a soft one (no idea of the number) and a hillclimb one.

Don't think I'll want the Hillclimb one, but should I go for the hard or soft option? We are still talking tyres here btw. :-)

The intermediate compound (or if you prefer soft race compound) last more than 30 laps of Brands. I and most of the other competitors in the Jaguar Car Club Centurian Challenge use the ACB10's. In my experience the soft race compound last at least 2 practices and races (about 300 race miles!) and I'm talking here about the laden tyres (the left hand ones). The unladen tyres last at least twice as long.

I use ACB 10's for track days and 'Ring' trips.

The ACB 10 compound I use is A30 or A31. These last me about 2,500 miles depending on the level of track use. My last set did one trip to the Ring (about 1500 miles with 2 days at the circuit, one cold day, one warm) and two track days at Cadwell. The fronts had a bit to go but the rears were knackered. The grip is excellent and if the use had more road work involved I bet you could get well over 3,000 miles. Unless like Arnie you do (eatwink.giflots of donuts!

Edited by - captain chaos on 24 Jul 2001 12:57:24

Brad

7 inch Superlights have a different offset which does not iterfer with the rear ARB.

I have 8 inch rear wheels and there is still a big gap!

Arnie Webb

So fat the chassis snapped....wink.gif

See Fat Arnies 2 piece Seven here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

See the Lotus Seven Club North Kent Website here

Edited by - fat arnie on 24 Jul 2001 16:00:40

Thanks for all the replies. I've got the 7" 22's fitted, but now of course I need to get it flat floored again and reduce the ride height at the rear!!

There does seem to be lots of room for the ARB, and I'm still surprised that a 7" wheel has probs.

Any recommendations on tyre pressures? 20psi seems a little stiff and 16 seemed a little low so i've gone for 18 for the time being.