Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon panels

Ken Y

I am considering fitting some/all the carbon interior panels from easi-clad www.easi-clad.com/caterham.html in replacement for the standard Caterham aluminium panels. Have spoken to easi-clad, and it all sounds fairly straightforward. The target vehicle is an R400 that is still in assembly, although several of the panels are already fitted by Arch as part of the chassis.

Does anyone have experience in either doing this or comments on the outcome or the quality of the components? - they supposedly result in a stiffer chassis and save a bit of weight, but the main motivation is cosmetic- car will be finished in Bare Carbon and Peugot Graphite paint, so I though they would look kinda cool!

Take claims about increased stiffness with a pinch of salt.

A T300/Epoxy carbon panel will have a similar stiffness to an aluminium one (91 GPa QI T300 vs 71 GPa 2014-T6) - but will be about half the weight. The carbon panel should be at least as thick as the Al ones you are replacing, if you want to see an increase in stiffness, it should be a good bit thicker.

Paul

Just to correct the information above as I don't think I should really be involved in this discussion:

The panels are thicker than the ally ones, they are lighter and more rigid. Additional rigidity will be given if bonded to the chassis as I did.

And look so much nicer *wink*

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Thanks Richard- no problem- u were most helpful on the phone- just wanting to get my head around the experience of any others. Had a look at the car today- dont think I can get them put in as part of the build without disrupting the timeframe, so likely to tackle them over time- maybe starting with something simple to get my eye in- I will be in touch.

Cheers

Ken