Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Play on front damper low end

Pierre Gillet

I have fitted months ago a set of Freestyle adjustable dampers/springs on my 1997 K . Very pleased with them.

Looking for some noise, I noticed that the 2 front dampers/springs assemblies have a 2 or 3 mm play around the hex bolts of the lower wishbone ends. This play can generate click- click noise in certain conditions.

Is it normal ?

Pierre

It should be!

My SV developed this on the front right damper (standard Bilsteins). Somehow the collar that goes around the hex bolt was no longer a snug fit on the bolt. Steve Foster fashioned a shim for me as a temporary fix. I then got a new bolt and collar from CC for £3 or so. Replaced it and now no play!

I could feel a difference in the handling when the collar was loose, and longterm I would worry that the extra shock loading due to the play could damage the bolt..

Thanks Paul and Neil, but

😳 reading again my post, I can see that my explanations were inaccurate. In fact the play is lateral between the two ends of the lower wisbone. It could be zero if I added one or two washers.

Would it be right to do so ?

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre,

I know what you mean..I saw that on ClayHead's se7en too. That was shimmed with washers, but I didn't like it as it is obviously non-standard so I binned them last time we had the dampers off 😳 We did atrack day straight afterwards and it was fine without the washers.

Paul

Pierre there is sometimes play between the bushes and the lower wishbone mount we regularly add washers to space out. Aother place on Dedion cars is the top rear mount most people just put the damper in and because of the problem of lining up the bolt with one hand and holding up the damper with the other you are just grateful that the damper can be moved easily. It is really worth while to check as we can always get at least one 1/2 inch washer in. The trick is to put the top cap head bolt in just so far that you can put the washer on the end then push the damper up, the washer will then usually move but it is worthwhile perserviring to eliminate this gap. There I go again giving away another one of our secrets.