Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrading Type 9 gearbox for Vauxhall HPC

simon redshaw

With a new vauxhall engine ready to fit into my old SS engine bay, I am thinking wether I should upgrade the Type 9 5 speed box to have a "long" first gear? Believe this really suits the Vauxhall motor?

Anyone doen this, who can do it out there (I know SP Components) and what is the sort of cost involved?

Do not wish to go any further at this stage as the engine is twin 45 carb and in std tune (175bhp). May increase power later.

Ta

Simon

Simon7R

Hi Simon,

I have just bought a long 1st and dropped 5th type-9 from BGH geartech in Cranbrook, Kent for £570ish. I went down to the company to pick it up and was very impressed with the work they do there, they certainly seem to know what they are doing.

Unfortunately I havn't fitted it yet so I don't know how good it is or how easy it will be to do (I am converting 4 speed to 5 speed), probably a job for this winter.

Some more info on them can be found here:- http://hometown.aol.com/dvandrews/bghpage.htm

Hope this helps

I just put a 2.80 first gear BGH box in my HPC. The difference in ratios from the original 2.04 first is quite dramatic to say the least. With the OEM Michelin Pileups, the car literally goes sideways in the street on the first to second shift. *eek*

I do miss the easy downshift from second to first that the HPC box had. The 2500 RPM 1-2 drop in the BGH box means you have to be quite deliberate when blipping the footfeed for a DS.

-Bob