Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hood

Geoff Johnson

Does anybody out there have any good ideas about how to stretch the hood. After leaving mine in the airing cupboard for two days & after 20 minutes of swearing I can almost but not quite do all the pop studs up.

I know I am not really supposed to use it, but the car would be more useable if I could put the roof up within a couple of minutes.

Geoff

Many years ago, when I first had my seven, I used the hood too blush.gif, the easiest way of getting it on there was to slacken off the hood-sticks, put the hood on and then pull the sticks tight again.

There is a theory that once you've got the roof on, you can warm it with a hair-dryer to get the material to stretch a little more, but it's not something I've tried.

The easiest answer tho' is to fit aeroscreens, then there's no temptation cool.gif, and you get some more space in the hood bag for beer thumbsup.gif

• Leadership Team
Geoff, you'll have to be patient until the warm weather arrives (I assume you mean a brand new hood, and if so we've probably all had the same problem). Put the car out in the sun, and attach the front hood poppers only. Let it warm. Attach the centre rear poppers. Leave it to warm some more. Attach the rear edge poppers. Let it warm some more. Hood sticks. Let it.....etc, etc. When fully up, if you leave it in the sun for a couple of hours it wil be quite floppy, and never give trouble again. Don't be tempted to force it without it being warm, you'll pull the top of the screen backwards slightly - a sure sign is the side screens scuffing the reae arches. Good luck. Stu.

Thinning on top might just be an understatement, it seems to me that there are about 3 months (4 days without rain) that I don't have to wear a hat because it's too hot or too cold & those 4 days are the ones that the nearest & dearest wants to come out too, but then I have to be able to put the hood on, on the way home as she has already got all the knots out of her hair twice & had enough of being buffetted.

PS has anybody noticed that without side screens you contact lenses get pulled out at about 100?

When I picked up my car it was pouring with rain so much so that I would have arrived home in a mobile bath. In any case the guys at the show room did show my how the hood should go on.

1. raise and slacken the sticks

2. attach the hood to the windscreen

3. attach the rear of the hood

4. tighten the sticks. possible the most difficult part if you have the head rests fitted.

thats it it takes a couple of mins.

Andy

Well, there you have it ... lots of ideas all of which will no doubt be of help. Manny a time have I been caught in the pi**ing rain to attemp a new world record Caterham Hood erection (if it wern't for the S&M rules this could be an Olypic sport!).

OK, so how do you erect a hood thats cold, non-stretch and with numb fingers ? - my solution is as follows...

1) unfasten boot cover and tuck away well clear of the hoop assembly

2) raise hoops and slip straps down on both sides of the roll bar (the hoops should go nearly flat at this stage)

3) Throw hood over disgruntled passenger

- explain you were aiming for the car but didn't want to scratch it !

4) attach hood in centre top position of windscreen

5) UNZIP the rear window !

6) attach at center boot position (easy now )

7) adjust to flop over car - the car and passenger are now basically staying dry if not in the dark !

8) attach ALL poppers around the windscreen

9) return to the rear (the cars rear !) and work around from the centre all the way to the edge but ommit the final popper (you'll only dislodge it again when you adjust the hoops)

10) open drivers door and reach down the side to lift the rear hoop

11) slide the strap up the side of the hoop and over the top to the stitch line in the hood - this will simultaniously lift the forward hood

12) slide strap up side of forward hood agin to stitchline of the hood - this bit is fairly tight and you may need to push the forward stick back while you move the strap

13) repeat (now much easier) on the passenger side

14) if your rear window zip is on the outside of the car - lucky you - zip up the window and retreat inside car

if you zip is inside car - clamber in facing backwards and zip up window !

15) watch the fingers !! - velcro that bit which attaches the hood to the forward hoop.

- now rest and demand copious amounts of tea and coffee while the car steams up - well there had to be a down side !