Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon wish list

andy couchman

Reading the interesting *confused* thread on weights, what the people really want to know is when will all you CF guys give us the weight saving carbon bits we REALLY need like:

- a full set of carbon spanners, screwdrivers and sockets

- a carbon jack to jack these ultralight cars up with

- carbon geabox housings (well, the F1 guys use them)

- carbon wishbones

- carbon rollcages

- carbon engine blocks

Oh, and having helped a mate move a very heavy desk at the weekend...

Andy 😬

Any of you sell cheap prduct liability insurance. Sorry I'm not going to be brave enough to make carbon wishbones for the F1 teams! (And they happily pay £10k each!!!)

Ex Fat Arnie

Hauling Less Lard....

Andy,

CF has better specific stiffness than metals but lower specific strength (and transverse properties are very poor). Roll cages, gearbox housings, spanners are all strength limited and a properly designed metal component should be lighter than a carbon one. Remember that an F1 car takes all the suspension loads through the gearbox casing and takes advantage of the better specific stiffness.

I agree with Martin that deDion tube, drive shaft and prop shaft would offer the biggest potential for "structural" composites on the car.

In the late 80s, a company called Polimotor made a 'plastic' engine which raced in the IMSA series. I think that the block was made from Torlon.

Paul

In the late 80s, a company called Polimotor made a 'plastic' engine which raced in the IMSA series. I think that the block was made from Torlon
Was that before Rover started making engines out of cheese?

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

Plastics with names like torlon and delrin are used to make ball bearings in yacht fittings.

I am no expert on high tech engines, but I understand the future is supposed to be in ceramics. Perhaps thats just for the bits that get hot and wear.

C/F windscreen surounds

C/F rocker covers

C/F carb covers

C/F heaters

C/F anti roll bar

C/F H/lamp bowles

C/F Clamshells wit cut outs for mess fo les wind resistance, style and performance.

C/F plate to cover removed heater.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

thank you Arnie for the comments, looking forward to your new range of carbon products, if the prices are as low as you promised , i look forward to purchasing from you.regards