Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

drive shaft re-conditioning

tiddy1

Simon are the joints worn??? If its just the rubber gaitors replace them yourself a kit is available from Ford at about £8 I have done a few. If its the joints I wish you luck in tracking down replacements Ford no longer sell the Seirra CV joints as separate. Your best bet is a secondhand joint from a scrap yard. CC gets the drive shafts made up by GKN driveline but they will not deal directly with Joe Public.

The rubbers are fine I was just thinking that there was excessive play in them, what is considered normal. i.e how much can you twist the wheel whilst holding the drive shaft still.

I reckon I can do about 30 deg, seems a lot to me,

Simon

There should be no play in the two tripod joints on each shaft. I can`t believe you can feel 30Degrees, is this not backlash within the diff??????. The only definative way to feel for wear is to withdraw a shaft and feel for play holding each end of the shaft. I would be very surprised if you can feel any wear.

• 2 months later...

So picking this up a bit late given that I'm now in need of a joint re-con has anoyone else any ideas on where/how to get a driveshaft joint re-conditioned?

Steve (trying to avoid having to spend even more money with CC part dept. - nothing personal if you read this Darren).