Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DIY tire fitting?

caterhamnut

Can one buy (cheaply 😬) tools needed to fit tires at home (not balance etc) - I have a shed load of old tires which I am constantly trying to rotate (boom boom!) so I get every bit of rubber out of them, but probably end up spending more on getting them fitted etc then on buying them in the first place. I have a crappy second set of alloys for fitting 'airfield day' spec tires too.

Any ideas?

'My First Race - SPA' pictures

here

60,000miles in 3years

You can do it by hand but it needs muscle & technique. You also need a way of breaking the beads which is the most difficult part. It is possible to buy a lever type hand held bead breaker, but I am told they are not as effective as they used to be as modern tyres fit so much more snugly on the rims, and hence the beads can be difficult to break using one of these.

I have recently bought my own compressed air powered tyre changer with a powered bead breaker built in, because of the number of tyres we fit a year (about 40 or so). The Clarke TC100 is about £350 new and you need a compressed air source, and somewhere to store the machine and bolt it down.

Even though I have this I will still change my R500 wheels by hand with levers and a rubber mallet as these are very fragile and I am less likely to damage them that way.

Doing it myself appeals due to the number we change and because the savings in tyre prices on the web based suppliers compared to the local tyre centres. You then need to get them balanced which is another problem............

Edited by - Graham Perry on 30 Jun 2004 15:36:18

IF yer gonna DIY tire mounting you 'should' learn about the little coloured dots on Tires and their placement on the Rims relative to Stems and balancing.. Just in case you thought they were just Mfg Flaws?

• Support Team

Angus,

The coloured dots that Bare mentioned are red and yellow. The yellow dot indicates the lightest part of the tyre (due to manufacturing inconsistency) and therefore should be placed next to the valve. I read an article on this somewhere (on a tyre manufacturer's site) and if I can find it again I'll post the link here.

Shaun

Edited to correct. I found some info googling but not the article I was looking for.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 1 Jul 2004 10:27:39

Edited by - Shaun_E on 1 Jul 2004 10:28:00

"Important info on tyre balancing courtesy of Yokohama Tyres

To facilitate proper balancing, Yokohama places red and yellow marks on the sidewalls of its tires to enable the best possible match-mounting of the tire/wheel assembly. There are two methods of match-mounting Yokohama tires to wheel assemblies using these red or yellow marks:

Weight (yellow mark)

Uniformity (red mark)

Weight Method

When performing weight match-mounting, the yellow mark on the tire, indicating the point of lightest weight, should be aligned with the valve stem on the wheel assembly, which represents the heaviest weight point of the wheel assembly. After match-mounting by either of the above methods, the tire/wheel assembly can be balanced.

Uniformity Method

When performing uniformity match-mounting, the red mark on the tire, indicating the point of maximum radial force variation, should be aligned with the wheel assembly's point of minimum radial run-out, which is generally indicated by a colored dot or a notch somewhere on the wheel assembly (consult manufacturer for details). Radial force variation is the fluctuation in the force that appears in the rotating axis of a tire when a specific load is applied and the tire rotated at a specific speed. It is necessary to minimize radial force variation to ensure trouble-free installation and operation. Not all wheel assemblies indicate the point of minimum radial run-out, rendering uniformity match-mounting sometimes impossible. If the point of minimum radial run-out is not indicated on a wheel assembly, the weight method of match-mounting should be used instead. "

Seven-Ecstasy.co.uk

How's My Driving?

Call 1800-BITE-ME