Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox removal

shn7

OK in preparation for confirmation that my speedo isn't working due to something missing internally in the gearbox, what's the least amount of work to get the gearbox out? Things like: is it necessary to drain the engine oil (I know the gearbox oil will drain out of the tailshaft); does the radiator have to come off or just drain the coolant; can the gearbox be removed without the engine?

This all relates to a dedion k series btw.

Steve.

Edited by - Steve Newman on 28 Jun 2004 21:02:53

Guy,

Thanks. Got the build manuals (old and new) but they don't give the shortcuts for taking it apart *wink*. I should know how to do it given I removed the whole lot and replaced it but I was looking for shortcuts to keep the out/in time to a minimum.

Steve.

Hi Steve if you can get an old propshaft to fit your gearbox, remove the forward end, where it enters the gearbox, and hey presto a plug to stop the stinking gearbox oil piddling out all about the place, may need some cutting and grinding to get minimum projections out the side, ie flanges and so forth, as for non operation of speedo, is it really a removal job, tried all the broken cable, angle drive,? etc, etc, I have had a speedo drive gear sieze in the housing, which sheared the plastic teeth off it, and also had the drive gear which is on the output shaft come loose, and move along the shaft, hence no speedo drive, oh happy days, hope it all goes well for you, regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Thanks Nigel,

I'm certain now that there is something wrong in the 'box as with the car on stands and the engine running at tickover in fourth the speedo output just ain't rotatin'. Going to get a decent set of circlip pliers today so I can remove the top hat and take a closer look before commiting to removing the whole shebang.

As to the gearbox oil. Well I have some good stainless steel drip trays that I used last time it came out and managed not to get anything on the garage floor so will do the same again.

Steve.

If you haven't taken the little angle drive between gearbox and cable, then you're problem is most likely in there. I knocked this off after a spin some time back - it has a small rectangular pin that goes from the angle drive into the gearbox output but it's sheared off. If that's the fault and you can't remove the sheared bit of pin, then only solution is gearbox out or an electronic speedo. I'm now going for the latter as it saves a lot of other hassles with calibration, tyre sizes etc. Cycle speedo was the cheapo temporary fix which is even Mot-able if you can illuminate it.

Electronic speedo is the way to go & probably best "driven" off the front hub. There is a kit available to seal the holes in the gearbox after the drive has been removed. Try either Caterham or Phil Stewart at Road & Race (01959-525105).

Despite what the manual says remove the engine separately from the box. This has a few benefits not least of which is that you don't empty the oil out of the tailshaft as you can remove the box on the level. Other benefits are that it is actually easier to physically control the installation/removal this way as the engine just lifts straight up (once clear of the OP shaft) and hence there is less clattering around the chassis. I always remove the engine/box this way, as ironically do Caterham who advised me to do this!

If you don't have an oil cooler or appollo tank you should get away with not draining the engine oil.

Neil.

Better to burn away and fade out, than to burn out and fade away....

www.FletcherRacing.com

We always remove the engine seperately from the 'box on a K, but you have to accept that with a Caterham dry sump you will lose at least a fair bit of oil when you disconnect the tank-pump pipe.

Steve, there is no way of seperating bell-housing from gearbox in situ (with a standard setup anyway) - see it as an opportunity to change the engine oil and CRB.

"Steve, there is no way of seperating bell-housing from gearbox in situ (with a standard setup anyway) - see it as an opportunity to change the engine oil and CRB."

But Stu, I already did both of those and haven't used the car yet ☹️

Steve.