Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series water pump impeller test.

paul jacobs

Well it hasn't taken long for the dreaded overheating problems to make themselves known *mad*. I've changed the thermostat, filled up with the super expensive 5 year pink antifreeze on a 1-1 basis and bled the car with nose high in the air.

But... I still don't get a flow of water around the system, so I guess that it could be the water pump shaft letting go of its' grip on the impeller. Can anyone suggest an easy method of testing this, eg. should I just remove the thermostat housing and stat and put something into the hole and turn the engin over to see if the impeller turns, or is it a matter of taking off the front cover and watching the belt turn and holding the impeller with something that will "give"?

Paul J. - On the road at last. it's only been two and a half years!!

BMWs of a certain vintage the impellor explodes test on them is the tell tale going into header tank and if that ain't there then hose off with a cold engine and start engine and watch the hose it is pretty ovious if the pump works but don't run it for any more then 1 minute

Sod the heater wheres my shades

OK, that's done it now. The cycling trick worked fine, the water started circulating on the second cycle. It's funny how you always think of the worst thing [no second worst thing in this case, the headgasket is the worst], before trying the simple ones.

Big thanks Mike *thumbup*