Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series engine - contingency plan

Peter Duce

As you may know I have had a continous problem with the head gasket on my 1.6 ss. Have a lot of help from Club mebers, and just want to look at this as contingency.

Engine is out and plan in place ... but I worry that this may not solve it (any Rover dealer I know has said that when they reach this point ...scrap 'em!). *confused*

I want to explore what options I have so ...

(1) Does anyone know of a K series from Caterham that is for sale or

(2) best route to find a 2nd hand engine - that I could trust (always wanting the "world";-))?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Well the only excotic bits on the supersport engine is the cams and the brain so you can really get any 1.6 k series engine of basically the same vintage and swap over the cams.

If you can find a little old lady that has owned a 1.6 buy that cheaply as a scrappy engine is of a unknown history.

You will get loads of posts saying throw in a Duratec but it is sunny throwing in a duratec is a winter job.

So if you want to go duratec go buy a scrappy K series throw it in over the summer and wait for the bang hopefully round about october and then investigate a better engine options

Sod the heater wheres my shades

Hi Peter. After all the trouble you've had all I can really offer is my sympathies ☹️.

I need to talk to the chap who rebuilt mine so I'll ask him if he knows of any decent secondhand engines. The problem is that unless its out of a recent wreck it may be knackered anyway 🙆🏻

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

If you can find a little old lady that has owned a 1.6 buy that cheaply as a scrappy engine is of a unknown history.

Ah yes! Those little old ladies doing short journeys from cold - at least k-series cars don't come with choke controls to hang handbags on these days.... *wink*

Better-off with an ex-repmobile engine I'd have thought...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com