Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SLR Tyre choice

allegro

I appologise for going over old ground, but I would like to throw it at you all again.

I have a SLR running on ACB10 s. These are great for track use, but unforgiving on the road. I would like an all rounder that I can use safely on the track but are radials with more road manners. I would like to keep the 13inch rims and 50 profile.

Any suggestions

Many thanks

Andy Mac

Depressed and rubberless after Lemans sad.gif

Avon CR500 are the only like for like that I am aware of. I was hoping for a Yoko equivalent.

What mileage can I expect from the CR500 question.gif

Are there any mods I should be making to accept a radial tyre. ie. camber.

Andy Mac

Click here and follow the links to A032Rs.

They're the only Yoko (tyre of any make) that will come close in the dry to ACB10s and are meant to be OK in the wet too (don't want to go over the whole topic again mind. Tyres are evidently a *very* subjective matter).

I use 21Rs currently which I think are superb. But then I went to these from Michelin Pilots so they will seem superb. Am getting 32Rs fitted soonish.

The only hassle for you is that they don't seem to do 50 profile in sensible sizes...any major reason for wanting 50s?

60 profile give a bit more ride height and more compliance on the road which can be a very good thing. I'm using 185s front and 205s rear on mine. I think this is a bit less tyre than the ACB10s on the SLR, but it works very well.

I think you should also change the camber moving from ACBs to radials too (which I think should mean a change in DeDion ears at the rear)...

My 21Rs have so far lasted 5-6k miles. Still plenty of tread on the fronts but the rears are getting low. I might be able to squeeze another 1-2k miles out of them though. I'd expect 32Rs to wear out quicker than this (but they're much cheaper than the Avon tyres)...

Has anyone worn out a set of Avon ZV-1s (the standard 14" fitment ones)? At 13,000 miles mine are still in very good health...

Either they are made of super tough rubber or I drive like a poof...

Piers

Mike E - try a couple of airfield days. Likely they'll help.

Having said that I tried similar tricks with my Michelin Pilots and still didn't kill them off. I ended up changing the tyres anyway. Best move I've made with the car.