Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chassis No. Amateur build indicator

shn7

I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there is any indication on the chassis identification plate that indicates an amateur built it. If the chassis was built by an amateur (ie: not by Caterham or Lotus for the pre 1973 cars) then there wouldn't be a chassis plate. The frame has an Arch moters number stamped into it and I suppose somebody could stamp a fake one in if they made the chassis. There's the whole Q plate thing in the UK but you probably know more about that than I would remember.

Ken Sailor

My car's chassis is 1987 vintage and reads thus KLC****R, only eight digits. K = kit, LC = long cockpit and the R = right hand drive

FTD Moreton in Marsh, International 1994 *cool* membership No.86xx

Edited by - Jingers on 23 Jun 2004 22:11:55

Re the chassis number page, I think it is missing a category of build type.....

My chassis number begins with "SDK RDC". In other words, my 6th character is a C rather than the possibilities listed on the FAQ (F, K or S). My theory is that C means "component car", i.e. halfway between kit and factory built - as indicated on the original order form which I have a copy of. Can anyone confirm this? Might be worth updating the FAQ.