Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall 16v xe Oil filter

Mel D

I need to change the oil and filter on my car but the standard Calibra unit is too long!Which car does the'Caterham' oil filter come from??? What is the normal oil pressure, when my car is up to normal temp.@ 92C pressure is 3.9 bar running on Castrol RS 0w-40w

Many thanks

Mel Dover

MD Dover

Rather embarrasingly I fitted the wrong filter just before a North Weald sprint. Barbara set off, braked for the first coner and the filter wore away on the ground. 1 lap later we had managed to ruin the big ends and stop the sprint for about an hour !

Replacement Unit supplied by Jim Whiting at North Weald was a T.J.(Tecalemit Jackson ?) unit , ref FB5300 and was listed to fit the

following cars

Renault 62 on R4,R4L,R4TL,

R5L (4CV)854CC

R6 (854CC)

and was approx 2.5" long

Roger

Yes, I remember that event Roger. I was either behind Barbara or one down the line, we seemed to be waiting for hours for the course to be cleared up, I then did a bit of ploughing on my last run, which livened me up a bit!

I think that the concensus on oil viscosity is NOT to run a 0 - 40 oil, as on a longish run, after 20 minutes or so at fast cruising, the oil pressure will drop a bar [or two]! I know mine certainly did when I changed to Mobil 1 0-40. The best is probably 10-50 but stay with a synthetic, Comma is also good, and cheaper than Mobil 1.

Spot on with the Filters Roger.

Yep the little one is for a Renault.....

I remember that day too Roger.....

Regarding oil, Comma SynerG is 5/40 and seems OK up to 8500rpm. Over this and you need to go for 15/50 Mobil 1.

Halfords are doing 20% off each multiple of £50 you spend at the moment. I pushed them down to £30 per pack of Mobil 1, bought 5 and got another £30 off = £24 per 4 litres. Not so bank breaking.........

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Fast Temporarily Indisposed Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here