Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which air filter for crossflow twin 40's?

Ade Ray

My car is currently fitted with K&N filters. These are now due for a change and I am wondering if anyone uses anything else, eg Pipercross and if so what sort. The use of the car is frequent road use, the occasional trackday and possibly some sprinting.

Many thanks

Ade *smile*

Hi manxseven

One of the filters has developed a crack in the rubber that is threatening to go right through, the other one seems to have shrunk slightly. I am also not sure whether a foam type filter might be more suitable for the mileage I do.

Ade *smile*

I have a pipercross 600D long 6" sausage thing that just fits within the cutout.

This allows longer trupets, but would not fit on a car with Clams.

I think it also offers greater area, but that is just opinion.

I think it looks smart too.

Ade,

My Mini was race spec, so very little mileage 😳, but lots of revs 😬

Wear and tear was fine, didn't have any problems, but on the Mini they are 'hidden' away at the back of the engine. On a 7 be stuck out in all the elements, so bound to wear a bit.

Simon Emmens Caterham and Pussy Photos here 😬

Seems to last ages, most issues revolve arround damaging it when removing the bonnet - have to be carefull as little rips spread.

The previous one on my car had been on for a few years at least, so must have done 3,000 odd miles, mostly races (not by me). So must have sucked allot of air!

Hi Ade

No reason why the filters cannot be washed and re oiled - kits available from Burton Power or Demon Thieves. The units are designed to last and should be good for over 50k miles with occasional clean.

If the frames are split or the chrome deteriorating then for Weber 40s you need to replace with 56-9265.

These are available from CC or many accessory stores inc BP and DT. Cost is about GBP42 each and the replacement will look much better than oldies but not necessarily perform that much better than cleaned and reoiled ones.

One thing to watch though is that K&N redesigned the fixings a few years ago and eliminated the centre fixing and use offset twin fixings so that the K&N logo could appear unbroken. This may mean you need toreplace both units *cool*

David

My original K&N filters shrunk as Ade says, this, I was told, was due to to petrol being in contact with the rubber surround material, now, who knows how to stop Weber side draughts from widdling fuel out of the trumpets, and mountings, not likely, seems more of a crap design, but I did buy 2 new elements, as I had the covers and mounts, but they will be junked if similar happens again. Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.