Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fouled spark plugs

Pete H

Had a problem with a fouled plug this morning resulting in a misfire throughout the rev range. Only one cylinder though, number 1. Any thoughts, duff plug, HT lead, or injector 🤔. Plugs are NGK BCP7ES, and all seemed correctly gapped at 30 thou.

Quick wire brushing and car (R300) ran fine, but plug was very black on the nose compared light brown for cylinders 2-4.

Cheers

Peter

Do you have a distributor or wasted spark coils?

With wasted spark coils (2 plugs per coil), the spark on one plug fires centre electrode to earth, the other earth to centre electrode. The latter one is a less powerful spark than the former due to the physics and in some systems can become sooty after a while. However, Rover seem to have enough spark power to overcome this. So I am just wondering if one of your wasted spark coils is not functioning 100%. Have you tried swapping the coils over to see if the fault moves?

I bet you'll now tell me you have a dizzy!!!

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Chris,

Yep, it has a dizzy. I was tinkering with the idle speed when the plug first fouled. Since cleaning the plug (and getting the idle right) the misfire hasn't reoccured, but the plug is still very black compared to the others, and blackens again following cleaning it after 20 min blat. Am I worrying about nothing *confused*

Pete.