Click here if you are having website access problems ×

supa chip or super sport

jollie

I have a pre x power k series only a sad 122 bhp and i want to upgrade i was thinking of going to piper cams to get a high lift cam but an old chum of mine who used to do track days in years gone by and who is a valued friend has told me that getting the car "chipped up" would be cheaper and more rewarding what do you lot think ? please . as i dont want to f@£k up my favorite toy and i have never heard of anybody "supa chiping there car " is it for saxo drivers or could it be a cheap reliable upgrade for a 7. and if you have any other ways of getting more horses out of the k for cheap could you please tell me . cheers

You could get it supersported by the factory to 140 bhp or Supersport R to 160+bhp

Both these options mean that you maintain your resale value. Aftermarket tuning however good will tend to reduce you resale value and Caterham will not buy it back.

Whatever some people on here say there are a good few people (specially newcomers) who will not buy a 7 not tuned by Caterham.

As well as my 7 I have a 3ltr V6 24v Alfa spider. I had the ems remapped by Auotdelta in London (the same effect as chipping) The difference is amazing particularly around the 4.5k to max revs at 8k. It has put another 27bhp on the figures. The beauty is that it is completely undetectable by main dealers diagnostic equipment important as the car is still in warranty. Cost £285

Its something that I would definitely consider on my 7 in the future. 😬

Grant

Hmmmmm.

I'm seriously considering upgrade of 1.6kss.

Looking at the link from RP, the K04 upgrade for ~ £2000 giving ~ 16O BHP looks interesting.

One thing I don't want to do is adversely affect the drivability of the car "round town" when not on a blat.

Anyone like to comment on what such an upgrade will do to the overall ease of driving round town ?

Ta

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

Steven do not worry about drivability. The cars are so light that even with a cammie engine there is no problem with shopping in the Seven other than lack of space for the spuds!

The item most likely to effect your drivability is the clutch, if you up grade to a multi plate competition clutch there is very little movement between being in or out - a light switch, as they are often called.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Clip from document when i upgraded my 1600cc to 187BHP

The car remains very drivable behaving like the supersport up to about 4500 rpm but it is louder and more throaty. The throttle bodies give the car a much improved throttle response and add to the character of the car. From 4500-6000 rpm the car becomes very much more responsive and the back end starts to squat down. From 6000-8200 rpm it goes like a scolded cat. This makes over taking very easy with the smallest gaps presenting opportunities. I recently attended a track day and the difference was very noticeable, the old car started to run out of breath from 7200 rpm up and it was not worth pushing any harder, now the revs keep rising all the way to 8200 rpm where the car is pulling very strongly.

MPG is still good with 30-35 mpg general driving however this does drop when further up the rev range, but I did not make the changes for fuel economy.

I've just had the race supersport conversion to a 2002 K series 1600 Academy engine - it is absolutely no less driveable in town or anywhere. Major difference is in the higher revs, which you are not going to do *confused* correct that, shouldn't perhaps do *confused* down to the supermarket!

G 4 Geoff

Guinness colour scheme here

Autodelta are "sort of recognised" by Alfa to the extent that the original Autodelta company in Italy prepared all the works race cars untill Alfa pulled out of motor sport some time ago. Interestingly the UK company are, if I am not mistaken, connected to the same Italian family who owned Autodelta in Italy. Alfa are considering re entering motor sport and the competition cars will again be prepare under the Autodelta name.

Grant