Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aluminum Boot Cover

Slomove

I have seen metal boot covers on some pictures here but set out to do my own folding ali version (after I failed miserably to make one in Carbon/Kevlar 🙆🏻 ).

Not sure if anybody is interested but I am quite proud of how it looks 😬 You can find it here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~slomove/id9.html

Actually it was not that difficult to do.

Cheers, Gert

This is on my to do list . . . . after seeing R400s with panelled in backs, I knew the canvas boot cover was living on borrowed time.

Slomove: Nice job, very nice edges *thumbup* What gauge ally is that?

Anthony: Any pickies of yours?

I want a solid one with a piano hinge or maybe fasterers, very similar to the 3 piece R400 race car design; except opening. Accessibility will be limited, but it's not as though I'm going to be carrying sofas in there anyway!

J351 TPE - Battered Old Chassis and some bits!

Arnie, you are right, with the forwad slanted Caterham bar the hinge location might be slightly different. But probably not much.

Adam, it is 40mil (about 1mm) 6061T6 alloy. The edges are 1/2" x 1/2" x 60mil angles. The edge is epoxied to the sheet except bolted where the latch attaches.

I did not use full length piano hinges (too heavy) but 3 individual stainless hinges per joint and a 1/2" x 1/8" ali bar as reinforment along the joint edges. This bar also secures a strip of rubberized fabric that is glued to the sheet (keep rain out).

BUT: the whole lid is surely 1/2 to 1 pound heavier than the canvas. Maybe nothing for the weight fetishists.

I just wanted give an idea and show what is possible with very limited effort. I did not even bother to prepare a drawing but transferred the dimensions directly from the car to the aluminum sheet.

Gert

Edited by - Slomove on 18 Mar 2004 16:33:17

Gert

Not a problem in California I know, but for us Limeys, how did you ensure a good rain* seal on the folds and around the rim.

(* Gert... "rain" is a watery-like substance that falls out of the sky in Europe most days of the year and especially in summer)

cheers

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Chris, that is an alien concept. I thought water was the stuff you find in a pool or in the ocean *wink*

But, contrary to public opinion and some song text, it does rain in Southern California. Just not really from May to December. But when it rains it can rain hard. A few inches a day do happen occasionally. Oh, maybe I should mention that the pictures of the boot cover were taken this week when it was around 27 C 😬 😬 😬

My boot cover is quite watertight. The joints are connected with the rubberized fabric and along the edges I stuck some stuff they sell as aftermarket car door weatherstrip. Pretty expensive at $ 35 per 10ft but thick, compliant and durable. The only thing I still need to do sometimes is also seal it around the Roll bar back stays.

Gert