Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Supercharger installed in Zetec.

magnusfeuer

I don't know if this is interesting, but I've dropped in a Eaton supercharger in my Zetec.

Pictures can be found at www.californiacaterhamclub.com. Click on the gallery page. The supercharger photos are on the second page. Jackson Racing (www.jacksonracing.com) supplied the kit.

The Zetec was fairly stock prior to the supercharger with only modified intake cams and a Pectel T6 ECU as its only enhancements.

We've also mounted adjustable pulleys. When we have replaced the stock throttle body (mounted on top of the supercharger) with an SVT 65mm unit, it is dyno-time.

We are fairly optimistic about moving the engine from 160-165HP to 240-250HP on the crank.

Right now we have a extremely conservative map that has added something like 20-30 hp. It is surprisingly civilized to drive with nothing of the turbo rubberband effect. At full throttle from a standstill, the supercharger starts to scream at 2500-3000 RPM and continues to boost until I let go at 7500RPM. Constant acceleration during the whole thing with the exception for a transient fueling hole just when you hit it.

The boost is at a very moderate 80 psi (~4.5 bars) today. We may increase that (smaller belt pulley) if we feel that it is safe to do so.

/Magnus F.

Edited by - magnusfeuer on 16 Mar 2004 15:40:29

normalbloke.29:

I hope that you mean that it is too low to be right. Please note that the kit was designed for a stock Focus engine (not SVT) with stock ECU, so the engineers were probably quite constrained in what they could do.

/Magnus F.

Not possible 80 psi would twist the rods and crank and block so i don't think that the stock unit would survive.

If my maths serve me correct every 3.7 psi of boost increases compression ratio by 1, this would equate to a ratio that would be extreme to say the least about 150 -1, detonation would have exploded everything and if that did not then heat would have!

Hp would be in the region of 1000bhp +.

If you have solved these problems then i would gladly have one of your kits *eek* *eek*

Support the 7 Society...... Ehhh?

Agree 8.0psi sounds very reasonable.

Interesting side note, though. If I recall correctly, the psycho 1.5 liter F1 turbo motors of the late '80's I guess it was, with their silly octane witch's brew fuels were running something in the vicinity of 65-70 psi manifold pressure in qualifying trim. They weren't affectionately referred to as grenades for nothing.

Remember in F1 when they introduced the 4bar 'pop-off' valves? There was lots of moaning at the time from the teams who had high boost so I guess they were making considerably more than 4bar - the BMW engine went up to 1400bhp on qualifying boost IIRC.

J351 TPE - Battered Old Chassis and some bits!