Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Racecar to roadcar

Chris__

I've been out in a Superlight on the road before, and a std 1600 Supersport, both these car's rode really well and were supple enough to cope with rough B roads no problem.

However I've realised that many ex-racers have the spec I'm looking for (as seen in Wanted section). Is the suspension on say, a Roadsport B car similar to the set up on the above cars? If they're not, is it easy to switch back? Any other essentials for road blatting/touring?

Thanks,

Chris.

Edited by - Chris__ on 11 Mar 2004 16:15:51

Hi Chris,

I’ve just bought a 3-year-old Road sport B race car that is road legal, primarily for track day use. I have driven it on normal roads and whilst the chassis is stiffer its nothing you cant put up with. Don’t know that I would want to go to say Le Mans as its just aluminium inside with no heater or anything else that passes for creature comforts in a 7!

Grant

Grant

Roadsport A spec is similar to a Superlight road car (wide track, six speed, LSD) Roadsport B is a lesser spec. I would get a Superlight if you are looking mainly at road as you will tend to get a less abused cabin a few more creature comforts and you will have a tunnel top mounted hand brake (racers under dash).

Ah, didn't know that. Thought that under-dash handbrake was just live-axle cars.

Thought you could tart the interior up a bit, and perhaps add some trim to the tunnel.

"Whilst the chassis is stiffer its nothing you cant put up with"

When you say this is it primarily the suspension you're talking about being stiffer? There's no reason why I couldn't swop the suspension and turn it into a smoother riding road car is there...?

Thanks, and sorry about the ignoramus questions, any advice appreciated.

Chris.

Edited by - Chris__ on 11 Mar 2004 17:04:36

Hi,

If an ex-racecar is too stiff on the road, a new set of springs will only set you back about £80 and take a couple of hours to fit... Easy Peasy!

My Fireblade racer is on 300/150lb springs front/rear - as standard it came with 150/75lb springs!! Its certainly less comfortable on the road now, but winding the dampers off helps.

Mark

"tunnel top mounted hand brake (racers under dash)."

The tunnel top mounted hand brake relates to age of car not being a race car.

Remember the passenger will get less leg room as the foot tunnel is shorter so the battery can be located lower down.

2003 onwards, *all* chassis have the tunnel handbrake, except R400 race chassis which use the same chassis they've had for years (but no handbrake at all of course).

A Roadsport B should be narrow track front and road suspension, but a Roadsport A will have widetrack, stiffer springs and dampers.

I got an ex racer and it rides really well alot better then some other cars i have been i including a mx-5 which had an after market suspension kit.

As to trim issues it quickly becomes no issue what so ever you'll have too much fun driving it to care.

It has an under dash handbrake it is only a problem when you have the harness done up tight and it is still on as you can't reach it easily.

Go for a test drive in an racer and you will see it is not as hard as you would imagine.

As to changes i have made to turn it from a racer to a road car i took the numbers off.

It is also my first caterham and i too came to the conclusion that a ex racer fitted my budget and spec wishes.

Blatting round aberdeen wondering wether to buy a jumper or heater

"Go for a test drive in an racer and you will see it is not as hard as you would imagine."

Thought I might get some accusations of not being hardcore enough - the reason I want softer suspension is because it throws you offline on B roads! (Esp. the ones round here, they're a disgrace)

I will definitely try one Mr Thinfourth, I've found one I like already 😬!

Chris.

To reduce the 'stiffness' of an ex-race car, change the front Anti Roll Bar to a thinner one - say orange, and either remove the rear ARB or set it to it's softest setting. You could change the toe-in if you wanted more directional stability. Apart from that, just enjoy!

Roadsport B cars will typically be ex-Academy and it was the 2003 Academy cars that first came with the central handbrake.

G 4 Geoff

New Guinness colour scheme here