Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rev limiter on xflow

Graham Sewell

I have just fitted a rev limiter to my xflow, and found that my driving style is constantly hitting my self-imposed limit (about 6.2k). As I do not have a change up light, does using the first cackle of misfire as an audio cue have any detrimental effects to the car (other than losing a fraction of a second on the upshift!) ?

Unless the electronics dance the HT cut-out around the cylinders then there is a chance of plug fouling ( a small chance granted) but there is also the affect of unbalanced torque loads on the crank which wont do the crank any good if sustained, since the rated maximum continuous engine speed for a stock xflow (I think) is 6500, 6200 is probably a bit low for a rev limiter, normally they are set at about 500-750RPM above the power peak, if the device doesn't have a shift light then consider rasing the limit by 500 or so RPM. If you can connect a shift light set at 400-500RPM below the limiter this will help you to avoid battering into it all the time.

Oily

A shift light is normally driven from an output of a rev limiter or ECU, some are sequential and have several outputs to drive a series of lights like an LED scale which light up as you approach the rev limit , others just provide a switched earth which is tripped when the pre-set shift light speed is reached. I think you need a processor of some kind to drive a sequnetial system, some simpler electronics could be used to drive a single light system.

Oily

I have had the same problem with the car accelerating so quickly in first gear. I have found a cheap but hi-tech Shift light from Aces in the UK. You program in your shift point. LED's light up. It is much more complicated then that, but the Caterham R500 comes with it a standard equipment.

www.sureshift.com

Richard

If you want to fit a sequential shift light then save yourself £100+ on the price of the ACES shift light and buy the Webcon alpha shift light

Take a look here

Its excellent value at just £50

"A gear change indicator incorporating 6 lamps that illuminate in sequence as you approach the optimum gear change engine speed. Design features include the increasing size and brightness of the LEDs and a final ultra-bright Red LED that illuminates at the pre-set engine speed. The purpose of the sequential operation is to inform the driver of the approaching gear change point and takes in to account the rate of engine acceleration in different gears. This method has been used to great effect in Formula 1, Super Touring, World Rally Championship and other top motorsport formulae.

FEATURES

6 Ultra-bright water clear light emitting diodes :

3 x 5mm green

2 x 8mm green

1 x 10mm red

All LEDs are clearly visible in bright sunlight

Display range 90-100% of set maximum engine speed, e.g. 5400-6000rpm

Simple 3 wire connection - 12V power supply, ground and ignition coil negative

Fully user programmable with half engine speed switch for easy setting

Instantaneous response

Suitable for 4, 6, 8 and 12 cylinder engines

Suitable for distributor or distributorless ignition systems

Supplied with universal loom

Reverse polarity protected

Dimensions : H=25mm, W=73mm, D=51mm

£50.00 plus VAT and Delivery "

It simply conects on to the wires from the back of yourrev counter .

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I was planing to buy a shift light with a single remote mount LED, to look nice and neat on the dash. The Webcon alpha look good value and I like the idea of more LEDs, but it doesn't look like it supports remote mount LEDs. Has anybody fitted one or know if it sits nicely anywhere in a 7?

Why is a rev limiter not a good idea?

James