Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best tyres on new R400. AO32R or CR500

Miles Taylor

Just ordered new R400. Having had Yoko AO32R s on my old 1400 ss which were brilliant on trackdays ( 5 per year ) but not experienced use in wet would anyone have advice on whether to have these from new or are the Avon CR500 standard spec tyres a better option? I'm intending to do a bit more road driving now also.

Milo

I've used both, wet and dry (though on a lot less bhp!) and would say go for the CR500's for feel, controlability, and wet grip advantages. 32's grip well but don't drift that well, and in the wet they can be dodgy in standing water!

CR500's are great road tyres but they are not a good choice for dry track days, I've driven lots of miles in the wet and dry on both 032r's and CR500's. Ultimately in the dry the 32R's are great but as an allround road tyre the CR500's are probably better

The other option is Yoko 048r's, they are a new tyre that is a compromise between the 32r's and the CR500's apparently.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

I have driven approx 1800 miles including 4 track days in 3 months (mainly wet/damp/cold) so far on CR500's and have found them to be excellent. I too am thinking of alternatives though, mainly from a cost/wear point of view. It will be interesting to hear everyones views

R400 .......... I love it

I'd tend to agree, the 032r's are a great tyre in most circumstances, it's just they can be a bit lively in the wet.

The CR500's don't have anywhere near as much grip in the dry but are much much grippier than something like the Bridgestones and in the wet they are very very friendly. But they do cost quite a bit more. Having said that past experience from several people seems to suggest they will last much longer, possibly as much as 9000+ miles depending on use.

Ultimately the best solution is probably CR500's for wet/track days and slicks/32r's for dry ones but for that you need a second set of wheels (not to expensive 2nd hand) and a wheel rack for the FIA bar!!

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Miles,

I have run both CR500s and 032Rs on R300SEV in the last year. Expanding on Rob's last comment, I think you need to think about where you will get most use. If its 'all conditions road work' then go for the CR500s which I have found first class in the wet. If its 'dry road use' or track use then go for 032Rs, which whilst even better in the dry, are seriously compromised in standing water situations. On a track you can normally judge where the puddles are, on the road you cannot *eek*.

darren f

The Building of R300SEV is Here

CR500's are great road tyres but they are not a good choice for dry track days

Eh? Why? Cost compared to 32's???

I only ask because I started off the car ownership on 500s on the road, but 'relegated' this set of wheels for track days (in favour of RE720s - which I am seriously impressed with given the cost and longevity). The two reasons for doing this were to cut down on road-usage costs (I found myself doing many, long journeys where 500s were just being wasted) and to save the grip up for when I really needed it...

...possibly as much as 9000+ miles depending on use.

FWIW, my rear 500s lasted almost exactly 5000 miles (on a 1.6 115BHP k-series) and I reckon the fronts have got enough left to do either a) one track day or b) the road miles to and from a trackday, but not both...

I seriously doubt 9k... and as I mentioned above, quite a lot of this mileage was wasteful road miles (i.e. m-ways and other boring straight bits)...

YMMV though....

*biggrin*

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Having used the 032R 185/13 in SS and the CR500 in 175/13 on the same car in races at the same tracks in the same year/conditions, I disagree strongly with the sentiment that the 32's are much faster as suggested above. My times were similar, even favouring the CR500's. Then agin that was a Roadsports B/750MC class C car with only 120bhp. But in my experience (not disputing other's) they are not dissimilar!

The feeling of contralibility of the CR500 is vastly superior, probably due to light weight

Edited by - jwyatt on 6 Feb 2004 14:04:18

Yep - agree with James on that (we raced 750 MC race on the Yokos, RS-B or Supergrads on the CR500's). I liked the 32's for their cost. They feel more 'stuck' to the track to me when it's very hot,dry - which is a confidence booster and probably made me slightly quicker on them in those conditions - but if it cools down they are the same, and if it's damp I'd go CR500's.

G 4 Geoff

I do not want a carbon fibre steering wheel!