Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Autocom fitment

Edward Big Truck

Ian,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier...

OK. First of all, the RA passes through a *custom* version of the connector used to isolate car-powered audio equipment. This was modified with a 10k resistor to reduce the sound levels to a sensible level (actually went too far, cos we didn't test it with earplugs... *mad*) The 10k was fine with no earplugs - it did allow the 5-position volume adjustment on the RA to do it's thang... just too damned quiet even on '5' now...

This custom lead then plugs into a Y connector along with the phone, and this Y connector then plugs into the AUX socket (i.e. the one next to the 'music' socket).

In theory, if either the RA or phone trigger, the music input will be muted - which is just what you want.

I dunno how the electronics work in terms of the attenuation resistor (in series, or in parallel) - sorry *biggrin*

I have the defenders and the helmet kit. One thing I noticed is the leads off the defenders are very long, allowing the positioning of the main unit under the dash, however the leads on the helmet insert are much much shorter meaning the plugs need to be up by your shoulder somewhere. Is the conclusion therefore that the boot is probably best for the main unit?

g

Superlight R #41

Hello to you all,

After taking a few calls with reference to all manor of questions I thaught I would make myself available for any question or query you may have. I have read through the 2 pages and there does not seem to be much that you guys cant sort out anyway but if there is anything I can do just ask.

Just to clear the chassis mounted socket enquiry up we are unable to supply any kind of componant part which includes theese sockets. I believe Maplins sell them and if anybody needs the 7 pin headset lead diagram or the grey 5 pin Aux lead diagram I can email them as a Word Doc.

Alternatively you are able to unplug the leads from the circuit board carefully and feed them through a small hole (6-8mm) and then put the unit back together. This will save a 20mm hole for the din plug.

The system is designed in such a way that you turn the Vox preset to a level that suits your average driving style and then you should not have to adjust it again unless you drop the wind screen or change the working enviroment.

The product is mainly designed for use on a motorcycle and the unit would be placed under the seat so the correct Vox preset position is important.

The instruction manual will provide all Vox info that is needed bearing in mind that this is a guide for headsets in use with a motorcycle helmet so using an ear defender headset may be slightly different. If the windscreen is fitted the wind will not effect the mic in the same way as if it was not so the Vox would need to be adjusted to allow for this.

Sam,

May thanks for joining this forum. It is really appreciated, and I am sure will only reflect positively on club members purchasing decisions about your product.

I opted for the switched music connector (part 67) to allow me to use my existing in car stereo head unit with boot speakers and the headset. Yes I am unusual, but not unique, that I have a car stereo in my Seven.

I there any way to further attenuate the music input from the swtiched lead into the ProSport unit. The car stereo volume needs to be set to '25' for speaker use but can not be higher than '2' for headset use. I forgot to reduce the volume before throwing the toggle switch only once, the headache and ringing in my ears have not quite fully gone away *eek* after a week. I would hate to do it again...or if a passenger threw the switch by mistake while we were driving.

Otherwise, great bit of kit. Cheers. Peter

My new Caterham owner's site

Sam,

I have had some mail from 'Powder Puff' since I talked to you on the phone and it seems the part you supplied to PP to go through a bulkhead ( about five years ago ) was as follows - ( copied from his e-mail to me - - - -

I bought them at least 5 years ago I'm afraid, so not sure that they'll be

able to find my order.

The connectors are the female side of the connection into which the male

headset lead plugs. The connector has an eliptical metal face around it with

a screw hole at either thin end through which it is secured to the flat

surface on which you are mounting. The back of the connector then turns into

a short lead which terminates in a male connector ready to plug into your

Autocom. My guess would be they are the connectors that Autocom would use

when permanently wiring a system into a motorcycle or other vehicle...so all

you do is add the headset.

Looks like you either no longer supply this part or maybe not for the 7 pin DIN plugs,

Maybe you have a pair in the bottom of an old bin in the stores

*thumbup*

Thanks,

Dave.

Who needs a Helmet - Get an Affro !

Clickhere to see Car and AFFRO !

Member 6790

Superlight 0075 - K7 LYT

I aim to adjust vox setting in the boot by asking the passenger to get out and go round to fiddle with the knob!! 😬

Hoping not to need to do much adjustment once it is set up to suit me.

Glad you could join us Sam - and thanks for your help in setting the bulk buy up.

Honk if you love peace and quiet.

See the Purple Beast at Seven-Ecstasy.co.uk

*thumbup*

Edited by - bongomania on 10 Feb 2004 18:31:53

Sam,

Tom, your MD, made me the prototype input connector for the Road Angel just after the bikeshow last year - we made it suitable for use in my helmet without ear plugs - but now I have to use them due to damaging wind noise, I can't hear the RA properly anymore...

...is there anything we can do about this such as wire in a switchable resistor? I think we ended up using a 10k Ohm job - fine where earplugs aren't required - but perhaps a switchable option down to 4.7k might be handy...

...I'm just down the road near Stratford, by the way... *wink*

REgds,

Myles

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Hi Sam and all,

I've been sorting out some hard-wiring elements for the Autocom for my SV, and can confirm:

1. I have sourced a 'dished mounting flange' to take a flush fitting socket to be mounted through the rear bulkhead - I'll let you know on here how it goes by the end of the week.

(Sam YHM but the pinout of the headset DIN would be useful to know (I have the 5-pin).

2. I have experienced a level problem when using the mobile (Nokia 3510) and part 58 (twin isolating phone/Road Angel lead). I have emailed Autocom but no reply - yet (now copied to you Sam!). Once the phone level is sorted I will sus out the resistor value for the RA to work comfortably (thanks for the warning Myles!).

3. I'm looking at adding PMR radio for car-to-car comms, however I need to get the above working correctly first. When set up this should have a switch (probably on dash near lights) that enables or disables the transmit to the PMR. When enabled the radio will transmit when triggerred by the VOX of the Pro-7 when you (or your passenger) speaks, when disabled only 'private' in-car conversations can occur.

If anyone has any info on interfacing cheap PMR's with Autocom, or just experience of using cheap PMRs on the move (ie performance), please let me know, as I don't intend to use them much so can't justify the hundred pounds plus ones.

4. I'm planning on mounting the Pro-7 in the boot in the centre V of the bulkhead, the PMR elsewhere in the boot, the RA is on the tunnel under the dash (with remote antenna in nosecone) and the music player (prob MP3 or radio - that may need antenna) under the dash.

Phone will be on flying lead from the tunnel or may sit in a 'map pocket' if I get round to it!

I'll try to post some pics when I have something to photograph *wink*

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider 😬 (and not very well at all ☹️, but getting better *smile*)

Myles,

We can easily do a switchable resistor, or even a variable pot with a minimum limit.

It's really a practical problem of where/how you mount the switch/pot.

As soon as I've sussed some values I'll post them up here *thumbup*

Ian

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider 😬 (and not very well at all ☹️, but getting better *smile*)

Hi,

FAO Peter

The reason for the huge difference in volume between the cars own speakers and the headset speakers is down to both the position and also the type. Obviously the closer the speaker is to your ears the louder it gets so when playing music through the car speakers you turn the volume up to compensate for the distance away and the noise in the car. Our Part 67 is simply a lead with the ability to switch from the cars speakers to the headset and also a mute position, It also has isolation built in to eliminate any HT or Alternator interference that is caused by a 12v powered music source. We could attenuate the line up to the headet from the music input but if the Pro was then used with a walkman or another type of music source the volume may not be enough.

FAO Dave

We do have and use 7 pin din chassis mounted sockets as we fit them onto our display panels for ease of use. I am unable to comment on who may of supplied the 5 pin dins 5 years ago but we are unable to supply any raw materials to anyone (Company Policy). As mentioned previously you can buy them from Maplins and if you email myself at enquiries@autocom.co.uk and ask for the wiring diagram for the 7 pin headset plug I will send you it as a word doc.

FAO Ian

I believe i emailed you with reference to your phone problem and i hope it helped. With reference to PMR radios we sell the Kenwood Funkey @ £79 Inc Vat and the interface is £15. The Funkey is a great little radio for general light use but it is unable to be powered from the Pro unlike the Kenwood TK3101 so it would need 3 X AA batteries which will last all day. The radio will transmit when either your passenger or yourself operates the vox unless you fit our Part 136 £38 which is not only a PTT button but it also has a toggle switch to choose between PTT, VOX Or constant transmit. With it being in PTT mode you can have a private conversation.

I hope this has helped