Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bad Wheel Valve

rdchalfont

My car has a bad valve on one of the wheels - bad meaning it has a slow leak, requiring the tyre to be pumped up regularly. The leak is through the valve itself, not around the seal between the valve and the wheel. I can tell this because of the air pressure under the valve cap!

Does anyone know if it is possible to just replace the valve - or do they have to take the tyre off the wheel to get at the valve from the inside to do it?

Is this a Caterham wheel? My tintop (Mondeo - alloy wheels) has the same problem. I suspect it is due to corrosion between the metal valve bodies and the alloy wheels. You can see tiny bubbles around the valve base when washing the car. The local tyre people say "replace with rubber valves" and quoted me some awful price for the job *thumbdown*

TonyK

Before you replace the centre valve, just try re-seating it by pushing the centre bit inwards a few times (and releasing a bit of air ) as they sometimes seat badly and the tyre pressure is not enough to correct the valve position. Then put some spittle on your finger and place it on the top of the valve. If it bubbles then its still leaking, but no bubbles is good news as it has re-seated.

Was taught this trick by my dad at the age of about 4 when pumping up the tyres on my tricycle, and its one of those little tricks that still works. *thumbup*

Thanks for the advice - didn't realise that car wheel valves unscrewed in a similar way to bicycle ones. Will have to give that a try.

Unfortunately I think the valve is bad as its been leaking for quite a while - and has been blown up again many times. If it was grit in the valve, or just bad seating, then I would have expected after the number of times I've disturbed it to have got it clear or got a good seal by now.

Its actually on my tin top - alloy wheels on a 306. I normally run them at 38psi - but the last time I inflated this wheel the pump started showing 4psi *eek* *eek* *eek* (Admittedly the car had been off the road for a few weeks because of broken power steering - see my thread in the test area!)

• Leadership Team

If all else fails, go to your local tyre fitter - back street ones are usually the best for service and advice. Have them remove the tyre and fit a new valve, but before they refit the tyre check the rim beed for corrosion/pitting to the ali - it may need a light sanding before the tire is refitted to ensure a good seal. I was told years ago that all ali wheels suffer with sealing issues at the beed face when they get older - except Mercedes for some reason *confused*

The wheel will need rebalancing, but should be less than a fiver all in *thumbup*

Stu.