Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Scamera Detector??

grumpy the 7th

IIRC scameras are laser based so you'll need a 'diffuser' to give you time to react. Otherwise, a laser detector will just beep by which time you'll be clocked . . . There's oodles of stuff on Blatchat if you do a search - IMO, there's a speeders triad of gadgets - you need a GPS thingy, laser diffuser, and top end detector. A £1200 budget should be OK. Remove any of the triad and you'll be vulnerable to one technology or another. Even with them there are still many ways of being busted. I assume you've ruled out the one guaranteed way not to get caught speeding?

J351 TPE . . . battered old X/Flow

As a happy RA owner, I'd recommend a hard look at the Origin Blue 2...

RA is fine - but the screen is very 'first-generation' and I struggle to keep the thing from drowning with aeroscreens in the rain.... (not that the OB2 is waterproof - but I think the cabling etc. is a better solution)...

Oh go on then - my thoughts here

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Edited by - Myles on 2 Feb 2004 16:33:34

Radar detectors are increasingly useless as the Police are not using radar very much at all now (more laser stuff). It can tell you whether a GATSO is working or not but then you may get blase about a particular one and then they install a camera unit in an empty box (in London they are filling empty boxes rather than putting up new ones).

Laser detection is useless as the pulse lasts 1/3 of a second and then they have you! Laser jamming or diffusing is illegal and may or may not be effective.

GPS is effective with a good database for permanent and regular mobile sites. I have a Cyclops and it tells me about both as well as what the speed limit is for the camera I am about to pass through. If I am above this limit is bleeps loads until I have slowed down sufficiently. It also tells me what my current speed is by GPS which is pretty damn accurate.

I found it the best of what was around at the time I got mine as I definately couldn't stick the Road Angels dim little display.

I can confirm that both my Road Angel and my Garmin handheld GPS are perfectly happy with Ford Focus heated screens (similar to the CC technology - loads of almost-invisible wires running through the screen...)

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

1.Take off the number plates for the winter clean-up

2.Forget to put them back on

3.Buy a blonde curly wing (presuming your not naturally blonde and curly).

4. Save £1k on radar system budget (handy for sticky tyres)

5. Save on car tax but not insurance obviously (thats illegal)

6. Enjoy undetectable carefree motoring until next winter

*cool*

monkfish: You've thought that one through well *thumbup* Just a couple of points:

1. With no reg plates you'll get stopped all the time.

2. With no tax, you're risking loads of points and a big fine.

3. When you are stopped, you'll look like a drag queen - this will probably not go down too well with the Police, although if it does, you may have to in order to get out of a ticket.

Good luck to you....If I see Lilly Savage driving around in a Seven with no reg plates or tax - I'll assume it's you.

J351 TPE . . . battered old X/Flow

Detectors are not illegal. Jammers diffusers whatever could be taken to be obstructing the Police or whatever. The same device can be used as a gate opener or something so some people use this defence. I imagine there will be moves to block this loophole very soon. Also if you don't have electric gates or garage opening you could find yourself in deep trouble.

"monkfish: You've thought that one through well Just a couple of points:

1. With no reg plates you'll get stopped all the time"

My front number plate fell off and I drove around with it in the boot for a couple of months. I passed lots of police cars and at least 1 laser gun trap (BIB standing by side of road zapping people). I was never stopped... either for speeding (which I naturally wasn't doing..) or for not having a number plate.

I think because a Caterham doesn't have an obvious place for the front number plate it doesn't stand out like a normal car when it is missing...

Edited by - Rhubarb on 6 Feb 2004 11:19:47