Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch cover / lightweight flywheel bolts?

Strangely

I'm fitting a Caterham lightweight flywheel and AP clutch to my K, and the bolts which hold the clutch cover to the flywheel seem different to the old standard flywheel / standard clutch arrangement.

The old bolts were M7, 1 mm pitch, 14 mm long, with a built-in washer. It seems like the new ones are M4, 1.25mm pitch, 14 mm long, still with a built-in washer. Of course, I've found this out while Caterham parts are closed ☹️.

Can anyone confirm whether Caterham did change the bolt spec, and where I might be able to get some either mail order or local to Reading, so that I don't have to hold up the rebuild of my car for a week for the sake of 6 bolts?

Cheery,

Jason.

• Leadership Team

Now bearing in mind that mines running a 1400 lightweight flywheel, I fitted a new flywheel and AP race clutch back in February, and all bolts etc etc were as standard. Have Caterham changed something recently? Could be worth asking an alternative supplier such as QED or MardiGras if they're open over the holiday?

Stu.

Thanks, Mark. Yesterday I ordered some bolts from the local Rover dealer before I realised that they were the wrong size. They phoned to say that they could only get 4. I wasn't going to bother picking them up, but your message prompted me to just go and check. Good job too, because they were the correct size! They can only order them in quantities of 20 (can you believe that they don't keep them in stock?), but they should get them in on Friday, and they'll be no more expensive than 6 from Caterham once I take P&P into account.

So, hopefully I can get some work on the car done at the weekend. Woohoo!

• 2 weeks later...

We finally got the clutch fitted last night (thanks, Phil!). It took the Rover dealer over a week to fail to get some bolts, then Caterham twice delivered the wrong parts. The Rover dealer local to where I work (SMC in Uxbridge) came through in the end.

The next job is getting the engine and gearbox back in the car!