Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Problem starting K series

Froggy

I have a 1.6 K series since september and for some reason i seems to have problem starting the engine all the time now...... when u turn the key, the engine starts after about 4 or 5 second after u turn the key. Check the wiring and it seems ok. Anything i should know or check?

..or are you saying that it takes 4-5 seconds for the engine to fire after turning the key (or pressing the big red button 😬).

If so, I don't think there is much of a problem. Mine takes a good couple of seconds to catch first time, I suppose there could be some problems with your fuel pump *confused* any other symptoms ?

L811 VTR BRG/Yellow SuperSport

Look on the bright side...that 4-5 seconds is getting the oil nicely moving round the galleries. In my old Austin Healey I always ran the starter for a few seconds before drawing out he choke to get the oil moving first. Most say it does not have any great benefit unless the system has dried out of oil (after an oil change or a long period since last start) but I doubt it causes much harm.

Lots of threads in the past about benefits of pre-starting rituals, search for "apollo non return valve"

L811 VTR BRG/Yellow SuperSport

Edited by - Pelico on 14 Dec 2003 12:06:10