Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front end precision

Steve Brown

Whilst I'm posting questions, another one comes to mind. My everyday tintop lacks precision / feedback from the front end when turning in - it's all a bit vague. When it comes to car setup, what options on the tyre pressure, suspension geometry front are there that should improve it?

Front wheel drive / power steering? They all do that sir...

You could test drive an Alfa they are a little better than most...

Seriously, I guess you could go the max power route and play with dampers / spring rates. I have noticed this vary with tyres. Could be expensive to try lots of sets...

Yes Mike, I've often wondered about this "sneeze factor". I first heard about it being used on American cars, but if it was so important, why aren't people who drive small open two seaters, with no more than 2 turns lock to lock, and who are more likely to sneeze from having a cold gale blowing down their necks, considered to be so much at risk.

I believe that Alfa Romeo are now using 2.5 [or less] turns lock to lock on the 156 and possibly other cars too. Have car designers finally realized that car drivers aren't acutally so stupid after all?