Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Exit

Maccers

Can I get a side exit exhaust for my 1700 X-Flow? At present I have the standard? type rear exit pipe, which I am sure is rubbing my rear tyre. I don't want to start cutting the ally (painted) where the pipe comes off the manifold. Could I get away with cutting and bending the pipes where needed, or would this mess up flow etc?

RM.

Yes you can get such a system but no you cant avoid some minimal opening up of the exit in the side skin to fit it. Mine, bought last year, cost £345 from Caterham and is all stainless steel. i would definately not recommend bending or cutting of the primary pipes. they look to good to be altered.

The hole enlarging required is really not a problem if done carefully.

The rear exit on my xflow appeared to rub the rear tyre so I adjusted it. The exhaust is connected to the car via a rubber strip under the wheel arch. The bolt can be slackened off and the whole thing twisted to move the exhaust further from the wheel. Failing that, slacken the bracket on the exhaust pipe and move it away from the tyre. There should be no need to replace the whole system (although the 4 to 1 does look the part).

I suppose I dived straight into that didnt I.

there are certainly adjustments available on the rear exit pipe. The hanging strap in the wheel arch is normally held in place with a jubilee clip which can be moved. Take care that you get the balance right between not rubbing on the tyre and also not rubbing on the axle link.

Maccers

I have a 1700 X-flow to which I have fitted a Caterham side exit exhaust, without the need to open up the bodywork. Redline components will provide you with a stainless Y piece which will connect the current primaries to the side exit, effectivly 4-2-1. It certainly improves the look of the car, and the soundtrack is great. If its a standard 135 engine then the power will not be effected, and the back of the car will remain oil free for longer.....oh, and its great for setting off car alarms.

I have also fitted a 4into1 side exit exhaust. Cutting the hole was a little bit of a drama, but after several failed attempts with the wrong tools, I managed to cut a fairly neat hole.

Prior to fitting the exhaust, I tried several different positions for the rear exit exhaust to stop it rubbing on the rear wheel. Failed though. Its almost as if once the rubber became warm it touched the exhaust.

Steve,

The Y piece was about £40 and the side exit, about £230, both from Redline. The Y is a good fit through the exsisting hole will no fouling. I fitted new primery gaskets whilst I was at it.

Why go to all the trouble and expense of fitting a 4-1 system, with all that hole cutting and spannering [those manifold studs are always absolute little sods!]

Do what I did, and modify your existing rear exit setup to a nifty side exit, gives better sound too, and I don't suppose that it does anything good or bad to the power curve.

Take off the silencer, remove the clamp holding the rear exit portion of pipe, shorten the front end where it fits over the front primaries, by about 2" or so, having done this, find a trusty stainless steel exhaust bender, and get him to make a curved exit pipe that will clamp over the stub of the silencer exit, so that it finishes just ahead of the rear wheel, he must put a bracket on it and hey presto, for about 20-30UKP you've got a really smart side exit system.

If you have problems locating a little man to do the bending, contact me, and I'll see if my guy will do it, using the original one he did for me, as a jig.