Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear belly pan design question

Michael Rohaley

A little late for Micheal, but of interest never the less. Caterham have already done rear belly pans - on the ill fated 21 rear setup. They made a neat little undertray that was pop riveted onto the underside of the A frame, during the 5 years I enjoyed my own 21, it never showed up any rusting issues, though it did cause some problems when jacking up the car, but so did the rear exhaust setup and various body panels......

Paul J. - Now with a working Seven, facing SVA.

Foxy Smith has, this Winter, grafted a belly pan to his car. It is held in place with cable ties... I'll give him a nudge and perhaps he'll come along and contribute to this theme.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Consider me nudged.

For the same reasons above, cutting out the parachute effect and also to stop cr*p accumulating and give some additional protection to the fragile powder coating of the chassis and DeDeon tube. I have a three part tray, part one is from rear of nose cone to start of sump, part two is the triangle of the A-frame, part three is a complex panel which is the triangles to either side of the A-frame bridged by the large rectangular area under the fuel tank.

Initial patterns cut from card and trial fitted then transfered to alu sheet (16g/1.5mm/0.063" in 1050 as this is easily avaliable and cheapish).

Fastening to car is by cable ties so no messing about with the chassis tubes. At various strategic points, surprisingly few needed, I have drilled 10mm holes in the alu which when in place lie either side of a chassis rail. Into these I've put brass eyelets which is probably asking for electrolytic mayhem but it looked nice. Cable ties passed up around the chasssis rail fastened and clipped. Needless to say I carry a packet of cable ties in the car. I have used strips of stickyback neoprene/EPM between alu and chassis rails to stop any fretting of the powder coat.

Very easy to make, quick to fasten in position and no hyper-precision allignment issues that you would be bound to have using conventional fastenings.