Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aero cap - fitted one yet?

Kermit the K

UFO,

I'm going to do some shortly. Mike (from Newton) asked me to try and do one with a pump nozzle in the neck to see how far it was going in.

I'll be sending him some general shots of the installation - but really, this doesn't illustrate the problem - it looks great!

No one else has reported problems apparently - an CC were so happy with the examples they were sent that they ordered 200, so it might be something peculiar about my car (2001, K-series, ex-Academy).

I'm also just about to phone Fred (who did all of the testing, as I understand it).

Regds,

Myles

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Myles

I took some dimensions from my car last night (2003 R300). It appears that the fuel flap may not as far down the neck as yours. I have some images I could send you, but the dimension from the fuel flap to the outer face of the bodywork is no more than 3 inches. Even allowing for the aero filler to project from the bodywork when fitted, it would be nowhere near the 4" yours measured.

Glenn

UFO,

Yes - this appears to be the problem *mad*

Fred - who did the measurements/prototype testing - was also surprised how far down my flap is. Newton are working on something for me to test this w/e (postal strike allowing), but if this fails, I reckon it will be sensible for me to get a new neck.

It has been suggested that I could kill the flap - but if it wasn't for the flap, I'd already have one allen bolt and some swarf in my tank *eek*

Will keep everyone posted.

Fitted mine yesterday and thanks to Myles' problems, made sure the cut-outs were in the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. Instalation was no problem and it looks great.

Tried it at the filling station today and while the nozzle does go in far enough to open the internal flap, it's a bit of a tight fit *eek* The upper part of the outer fitting, where the cap locking lugs locate is in contact with the top of the nozzle while the bottom of the nozzle is in contact with the inner part of the filler.

In my opinion, the cap needs to be the next size bigger - says Aero 300 on the box it came in.

BRG Brooklands Aero Screen SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Right,

Well I did promise...

Erm, I don't think it's fair to say too much at the moment - they are working to solve my problem. I'm glad other people are OK.

I don't want to post anything new either way just yet - it looks like we'll get to the bottom of it one way or another.

Really promise to update the thread when all is tied down.

Just fitted the black from Caterham with the 7 logo ( I placed my order weeks ago and at that time I did not know I could get them cheaper from Think). But I must say that the 7 logo is nice.

I had to drill 6 new holes, plus two in the inner collar that I had to tap for the two ss allen screws but have achieved a good positioning .

Really beautiful. Have not still tried to fill tank.

Pierre

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 8 Oct 2003 19:43:32

• 1 month later...

Can anyone confirm that it is possible to close and latch the new CC filler cap securely without using a key? You can't remove the key from some filler caps unless it's locked. As I have keyless ignition I don't want to take keys around with me on every blat - just the immobiliser fob. Clearly I would lock it if I was going to park anywhere near Italy.

Absolutely no hitchhikers *thumbdown*