Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle wings hit indicator mounts?

Grubbster

My car is almost finished now so I am on the last odds and ends of tidying up. Todays challenge has been to work out how to stop the cycle wings hitting the indicator mounts on full lock. The headlamp/indicator mounting brackets are pushed as far into the top fixings as possible, but still on full lock the cycle wings touch the indicator mounting plate.

Any ideas?? *confused*

See some photo's here

It's just about finished - waiting for SVA date!

Couldn't see a photo of the interference and can't figure out how it could happen. Are you prevented from getting full lock, or is it just touching?

Did notice you haven't yet changed the passenger harness buckle over so that it is in the centre and not able to damage the side panel.

You'll need to remove the waist hanesses. Remove the back cover and remove the non buckle harness. Re-install the back cover (or it will all fall apart when you remove the front cover). Carefully peel off the decal from the front and remove centre screw. Take off the front and swap over the two horizontal pins. Put the front back on and remove the back again and reinstall the straps. Its a lot easier than it sounds - don't forget to use Loctite on the little screws.

BRG Brooklands Aero Screen SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Hi Tony,

The cycle wings contact the indicators sufficiently to push them round a bit before full lock is reached - I have put some pictures on the end of the album so you can see. Also, I have put a couple of pictures showing very poor fitting of the front of the bonnet - I am hoping Caterham will know some magic way to sort this during the PBC. Any thoughts??

On the harness - I couldn't undo the centre screw - so I left it for now, should come back to it later!

See some photo's here

Edited by - Grubbster on 21 Sep 2003 12:12:28

• Leadership Team

Mine did this for years before finally going to wide-track. Not sure there's a fix other than be careful when nearing full lock *confused* Cycle wings can hit the lights also if the road surface is uneven.

Stu.

I guess you'll just have to be careful when going full lock, but as it's only likeely to be in the car park, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

All bonnets I've seen only fit where they touch. I gently changed the contour of mine by hand bending the edges, both leading and trailing edges. The material is quite soft and deforms easily, so be careful. Make careful changes, one at a time and try it for fit. You may find that you'll get one area to fit nicely only to find it's out somewhere else - but take your time and you'll be able to come up with a good average.

Car looks good by the way 😬

BRG Brooklands Aero Screen SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Thanks Tony, I guess you're right - just be careful, there doesn't seem to be much else I could move. The front of the bonnet is a very poor fit, the rivets holding the catch on don't help much, they are up against the nose fastener causing a big gap. I'll see what Caterham suggest.

Glad you like the look of it - I am very pleased with the result! *cool*

See some photo's here

I may be completely wrong but I thought Caterham supplied a rack with less steering lock for cars with cycle wings. Could someone confirm this for me 🤔 I don't want to give you false info; the situation may have been the reverse.

If this is the case, check that CCC havn't given you a rack for a flared car.

Peardrop

Mine only does it with RH lock on the LH (passenger side) wing.

Suspect that the wing stay might be everso slightly bent - the car was ex-academy and had at least one f-wing refitted.

Note also that the wing is bonded on - not bolted. Could be that they are slightly off-centre...

I'd only worry about it if you have got painted wings rather than the gel-coat standard colours - I can just about see a scratch/mark in the gel-coat on my black car, but I guess if you have some fancy painted colour, it could really p*ss you off...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻