Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Apollo tank

Mrs Kipper

Hi

This is my first 'winter upgrade' thought.

I intend fitting an apollo to my three year old 1.6K SS (yes, Colin, I know I should have done it from day one!). Is there anything else I should consider doing at the same time that would be easier while I am fitting the apollo? The car is standard in terms of engine (standard Supersport that is). Mainly road use but also regular sprinting.

Laminova perhaps?

Serious suggestions please - no comments such as 'change if for a VX'.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

Kipper

Make sure you get the one-way valve that goes in the breather between the top of the Apollo and the cam cover as this stops the oil draining down and therefore gives instant oil pressure on start-up as opposed to a 3 second delay. I would also recommend fitting a Laminova as this has reduced my oil temperature by 15C even in this recent hot spell. It also has the advantage of warming the oil up quicker.

Good luck with getting the sandwich plate oil tight first time.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Avoiding the Kerbs

A search will show that the fitment of the 1 way valve is an expense that is not really required. Do you have this type of system fitted to your every day car to stop oil drain form the head?

Kipper,

A Laminova would be a good idea to fit at the same time. A couple of dry break couplings would make it a sinch to change the alt. belt then too (it is possible with just the std apollo fitted). Oil temps on mine have come down about 20 deg on a normal road run and over 30 on a hot track day. Water has remained constant at about 80 - 85 after changing to an 82 deg thermostat too.

Kipper

With the Appollo tank and its hoses in position, you cannot replace the fan belt without removing at least one hose. It is a good idea to thread a spare fanbelt over the hoses on installation and wire it up out of harms way.

*smile*

Pete,

With the Appollo tank and its hoses in position, you cannot replace the fan belt without removing at least one hose

What absolute rubbish.

You simply undo the jubilee clip holding the apollo to the top bracket and it is then free to be lifted to allow the belt to slip up over the hoses and tank.

I know because i had to do it myself not 12 months ago.

Mav

The one way valve does not stop oil draining from the head, its stops it draining from the Apollo back into the sump. If you do not have the valve there is a 3 second delay in the build up of oil pressure....I know because I originally fitted the Apollo without one. I realise that people run without them but I do not like running the engine with low oil pressure if it can be avoided.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Avoiding the Kerbs

I believe there may be a re-design of the filter sandwich plate coming along shortly....this will alter the routing if the main oil pipes.

Mav, the routing of the pipes on my appolo (courtesy of Classic Carriage Company) mean you can't change the belt without removing at least one pipe *mad* Looking forward to fitting my dry-sump over the winter and getting rid of the problem *smile*

Guys

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Looks like I should start saving for a Laminova as well as the Apollo (it's a good thing Mrs Kipper never looks at Techtalk *wink*)

Gordon, interesting comment about a redesign of the sandwich plate. I'll give Caterhams a ring to see if I can get any futher info.

Thanks again boys.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

• Support Team

Kipper,

I would recommend fitting a Laminova - look at Roy Booth's site (WILLFLY) for instructions and pictures. If you do this at the same time as fitting the Apollo then you will avoid the problem I had where the Laminova would not sit flat because of the positioning of the Apollo tank. If you fit a Laminova then make sure that your radiator is up to the job of dissipating the extra heat. If you have a Caterham aluminium road or triple by-pass race radiator then you should be OK - the standard (black) radiator is probably not sufficient. I can recommend the Radtec radiator as an alternative. The Laminova plus Radtec did an excellent job at Snetterton in keeping the temperatures down to reasonable levels - previously at Llandow without them I had seen water temp of 105+ and oil temps of 120+.

I'll be at Penn this weekend if you want to take a look - can't make the next Seven Stars unfortunately.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

As Kipper knows I also have the Apollo and Laminova combination, but with the Radtec ali radiator as well. I have the slight problem of not being able to get the Laminova to sit flat as the top hose pipe on the Radtec is in a different position to the standard radiator. Temperature wise the combination has made a great difference. I did also change to 82 degree stat and drilled it as well.

I would be interested in knowing whether the one way valve is a Think Automotive product and its cost as the wait for oli pressure can be a bit disconcerting, especially if the car has not been used for a week or two.

Regards,

Colin.

Colin

I have the same combination as you Apollo, Laminova and the Ali Radtec Rad and I'm very pleased with the difference it has made to oil and water temperatures. IIRC the one way valve cost around £60 and gives instantaneous oil pressure which even if the reduction in engine wear is negligible it at least gives me piece of mind.

See you at Aintree.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Avoiding the Kerbs

• 8 years later...

With the Appollo tank and its hoses in position, you cannot replace the fan belt without removing at least one hose

What absolute rubbish.

You simply undo the jubilee clip holding the apollo to the top bracket and it is then free to be lifted to allow the belt to slip up over the hoses and tank.

I know because i had to do it myself not 12 months ago.

Don't you have to take off the breather pipe at the top to get the belt on in this way? Doesn't that count as a hose?

Graham, I'll concedee that one.

PP. how do your pipes run then? Mine are both through the Alt. Belt

Excellent, exactly what I was searching for.

My alternator is too close to the body panel and I am hoping a new belt will increase the distance.

thank you BC.

edit: I just discovered that there are two installations types of the aplollo. one indeed does not require removal of either oil hose, the other which I have, DOES. This also adds emphasis to the idea to pre install a second one, possibly cable tied to the upper space frame as the final fitting including remove refit oil belt is very simple, now I know how.

Edited by - anthonym on 2 Nov 2011 20:29:40