Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electronic Speedometer?

I.Mupferit

Had my mechanical speedo re-calibrated recently and it appeared to work ok(ish) for a while but it now reads very erratically ie suddenly shoots round the dial to the stop, and back again, when I am only doing a steady 40.

It does this all the time above 40 so I took it off and checked the speedo with a flexible drive on a speed adjustable drill. It works fine on that and is rock steady at whatever speed you set it to so only conclusion I can draw from that is that the angle drive or cable are buggered. Inner cable seems ok with no kinks or snags to catch on the outer, so either the problem is the outer cable or the angle drive itself.

Bearing in mind the problems these angle drives seem to cause, I have decided to try and fit an electronic speedo which reads from a hub or wheel.

The car is a live axle so as the propshaft articulates with rear suspension movement I presume I couldn't fit a magnet to that.

Any recommendations or suggestions to what I can use, other than a bike speedo? I preferably want a direct replacement for the existing 80mm (?) speedo head that I can calibrate (or have calibrated) as required.

Brent

I've just fitted a VDO 80mm Electronic unit to the P4 project, it can use a variety of senders including the magnet type however I have opted for the one that pics up rotating ferrous objects, in my case I'm using the bolt heads on the driveshaft flange but you could try picking up on the bolt heads on the back of the front hubs

bought it from Merlin Motorsport at Combe (Gary's very helpful!)

btw it has auto calibration, you set it going, drive over a measured mile (A329M, M4 between 11 and 12 or Swallowfield bypass!) hit finish then it's spot on! (least that's what the manual says)

Mark

Hi Brent,

I have also installed the 80mm dia VDO speedo. Still using the angle drive though, but the VDO offers a couple of options about which sensor you can use.

You can have a look at hometown.aol.de/kloske

Cheers

Klaus

1700+ X-flow

Combustion is not a secret