Click here if you are having website access problems ×

JPE exhaust-pipes

Marius

Today I was offered a brandnew JPE exhaust-kit, manifold and pipe, the whole kit, for about 930pounds.

I always wanted to upgrade to a better exhaust system on my modified 2litre 16v. What would you do? Is it worth the money? JPE system or the kind of SBD or QED or something? Where are you Arnie?

Marius

I'm here Marius

I had a JPE system on my 235 Evo - when it could barely produce 200 horsepower.

The reason the JPE is well under the quoted 250 is also this and the inlet manifold design.

The pipes you can get from QED SBD etc. are a 'catch all' spec meaning they also, although better than a JPE system, they are not perfect for your engine.

4 -2 -1 is the way to go for a Vauxhall

Knowing your spec I would suggest a manifold similar to mine. You can buy one of these for around £1000 and it is made of very high grade stainless (doesn't crack or discolour badly) It was made by Hayward and Scott in Baslidon - they do lots of Ferrari and Porsche stuff and an indication of their standards... +44 1268 727256 Contact Ian (mention my name you may get a deal....)

Mine has:

31" Primaries 1 7/8 header dia

15" Secondaries 2 1/4"

3" collector dia at silencer

8" collector lengths.

This is a pig to get onto a seven and will need to come over the top chassis rail. Its also important to keep the headers as straight as possible where they come off the head, to accelerate the gasflow.

It is vital to keep the run doen the side of the car straight with no kink at the front of the silencer. SBD get their silencers made by BTB Exhausts +44 1327 261797 - Contact Joe Ellis (again, mention my name you may get a deal....)

Any help??????

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

Tony Law does custom manifolds for the Vx (pic at www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/gallery/misc/front_carbon.jpg or www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/profiles/images/graemescar2.jpg. About 375UKP for a bonnet exit one if memory serves me correctly. Not sure how they compare to Arnie's 1000UKP one but they're well made and the bonnet exit ensure smooth gradual bends along with claimed improved cooling (debatable, although there is more pipe in the airflow).

I'm afraid I haven't got his number to hand but it will be in the Autosport directory.

www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk

Glad to hear I don´t have to spend this amount right now for the JPE-system, my colour-printer stopped throwing out money somehow....

Great help to me, I´ll do some phonecalls then.

Members of the L7COGB, you´re the bestthumbsup.gif

Marius

Marius

Tony Law will only make exhaust in mild steel so you either get it plated or painted matt black.

The exhaust lengths arnie has suggested are possibly fine for his engine,but each engine has its own requirments depending on spec mapping etc.

I would suggest contacting a reputable engine builder or who ever built your engine and ask them what length primaries/secondaries they suggestfor your spec of engine.

As an example against arnies exhaust my mere 265 bhp engine

uses

27" primaries 1 7/8" dia

10" secondaries 2 1/4" dia

2 1/2" link pipe to silencer this is only about 3" long.

the silencer is a tech craft s/steel 6" dia/26" long.

All this fits through the standard exhaust hole in the side of the car.the engine was mapped on qed dyno with this spec manifold as it matched the required engine spec.

Silencer is available from techcraft 01926 410098,cost 220.00

Exhaust manifold in stainless steel was made to fit car by exhaust by design on 01908 507117.cost - 400.00

4-2-1 manifold will provide excellent mid range power with little or no lose in top end.this was the design swindon used on the touring car engines so it can't be that bad.

Any way good luck with making up your mind

cheers dave