Click here if you are having website access problems ×

RS2000 engine - will it fit

DaveMorris

Not sure what engine designation your working with, but there is a Locost with an RS 2000 motor installed, and an RS 2000 gearbox, Capri 2lt axle, so there is a chance it could fit, some other more knowledgeable bretheren will probably be able to give more advice. Regards Nigel

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

• Support Team

Look here. It's not any of the above but something called the I4 - a bit more research reveals this to be a Ford/Mazda joint venture.

Dave - looks like this is not something that anyone here is likely to have done. Given the low volumes it is probably a difficult engine to source/tune/maintain. A lot of people have fitted Zetec engines to Sevens and the latest "darling of the engine world" is the Ford Duratec which is now being used by people after a light weight, easily tuned engine. There are several companies developing tuning stuff for this as well as fittings for Caterhams.

Ammo above has a bit of an interest in the Duratec 😬

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

AIUI, Caterham Cars tried this engine in a Seven in the early 90s. They rejected it because it was large, heavy, and not at all smooth.

Sadly Caterham Cars believed that it was the then new Ford 'Zeta' engine.

Shame, however it did leave the door open for James Whiting and Redline to step in and produce fitting kits.

Zetec is a great engine. Still the best engine if you are converting from Crossflow on a budget. I like to call it the poor man's BDR. Good power is obtainable quite easily. Very reliable and oiltight. Almost a fit and forget option.

Duratecs are another beast completely. I'm so sure they will be a great success that I have put my money where my mouth is and ordered three new engines on top of the one I have already. This is so I can get them ready for this winter when re-build time comes around. Should be here before the end of the month.

AMMO

Yes it was tried by Caterham in the early 90's and for all the reasons above + it was too tall, the unit was rejected. I think there was mention of this in the Chris Rees book.

I honestly wouldn't bother with trying to adapt this unit, modify sump, special engine mounts, special manifolding etc when engines such as the Zetec are readily available together with all the necessary installation parts.

Brent

The Sierra 8v DOHC and Mk 5 RS 2000 (and 2.3 Scorpio/Galaxy) motors are a series of their own, we produced the balance shafts for the Galaxy until recently. Caterham fitted the Sierra version into a 7 but it stuck out of the bonnet by miles so they gave up. No one here even knows how it came about...

Dont go there!

Buy a 2.0 Duratec (latest mondeo) and speak to Ammo, he'll have some cracking uprate kits for them in the near future....

BC

I have owned a 1994 i4 RS2000 - its a good engine mine was still poking out 160bhp after 130,000 VERY hard miles.

Its a tall engine though. On the Pre-face lift version of the mk5 ford had to put 2 buldges in the bonnet so it would clear, the mk5 face lift and mk6 bonnets were ok though.

The engine is a good one but not for your 7, its quite heavy too.

Have seen one in a Mk1 Fiesta...... *eek*

A cheap and quick option is a bike engine. Done properly this can offer some stunning performance for very little cash. Get rid of as much excess as possible then go looking for a complete setup, electrics and all. The mounts have already been sorted by various people and after that you are on your way to cheap quick motoring. Probably a total install cost of about 1500quid (not including rad, but a fiesta ally one does the job nicely)

It has to be worth a laugh!

Good luck!

BB