Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Are the Mag Wheels worth it?

BarryG

Hi guys, I am new to the wonderful world of Caterham, and have only just joined this Forum. As the "Search" facility isn't working at the moment, please excuse me if I am asking a question that has been asked many times before.

I am currently speccing up an R400 and have a question about the Magnesium Wheels: are they really worth the £725 upgrade price? I realise that they are going to be lighter than the 15" alloys, which will improve the kerb weight, and therefore the power-to-weight ratio. But what other benefits do they bring?

Barry.

get the std wheels then buy a set of mag wheels for a bit less than this direct from the manufacturer. costs you less now, gives you a spare set of wheels and basically better all round *smile*

rotational and unsprung weight are the best place to lose it - hence lighter wheels are a GOOD thing.

On an R400 I'd suggest 6" fronts and 7" rears. you can then take 175 and 205 CR500s or 185 and 205 yoko 32Rs. (the numbers area b it of a lie - yoko and Avon seem to have differing opinions over what a mm is ...)

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

I accidently 😳 bought some 2nd (but mint) hand MB magnesium wheels and tyres recently and they are very light especially when compared to the minators I was using previously....

repeat everything Hoopy says (well not everything as you wouldn't stop blabbering for months 😳 )plus from what I have heard and read caterhams prefer smaller diameter wheels (ie 13" rather than 15") handling wise even if the circumferences are similar.

Also greater choice of decent tyres in 13" *thumbup*

however there are some alledged downsides to the MB mag wheels, namely to do with the design of the wheel nuts which I am sure someone can explain....

rob

May be wrong on this, but don't the wings come in two sizes, one for 14inch and one 16? Therefore if you spec 15 inch wheels you get the bigger wings which would look mighty odd with 13inch wheels in them.

I put the smaller wheels on my R400. Plenty of tyre choice.

Nick

they are a bit more fragile as well - two of mine need a bit of fettling to get them round again (the balancing guy wasn't very happy with ther mount of weight he needed on one).

OTOH they balanced fine before and I get a bit of vibration at motorway speeds - i wonder if he either mucked up balancing them or bent them when changing the tyres this time....

13" is definitely worth it though - the tyres are about half the price of 15" varieties (for yoko 21, yoko 32, ACB10 and CR500 anyway)

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

for some reason my car a superlight came with 15" wing stays, I didn't notice till after I putit all together when it was parked next to another car, and it does looka bit odd, but not too bad 😳

rob *smile*

ps Hoops - couldn't resist

Thanks for the slap... 😳

...torqued a couple up to 55 lb ft before the SVA.... but the chrome covering on the nuts started to bite into the washer seat and chip off. Do yours do the same?

Lee

ps Barry - I agree with the others too - go for the standard wheels, and buy some mag wheels direct from Mr Barnby (direct, they'll cost about the same as the upgrade price, so effectively you get the standard wheels for nowt) *cool*

Guys

Becareful where you take the MB wheels to have tyres fitted.

Local muppets distroyed a rim of mine ☹️

It is an expensive lesson to learn and worth travelling to get someone who knows what they are doing....

Support the direct approach to MB as it is cheaper than the upgrade !

Thanks for all the replies!

Another stupid question: who are MB? I assume that they are a Caterham parts supplier. Please could someone post their URL, email address or phone number?

Barry.

MB 13 inch wheels are fragile at the rim due to the thickness of the material and easily bent, particularly on a tyre changing machine so need to be given to someone careful when changing tyres (The promise of a 'good drink' usually ensures this) Problem with the wheel nuts is that when the wheels are powdercoated (which you really need with Magnesium) they are a tight fit in the holes and may need turning down a little. Some get away with it though. Mr Barnby is a nice guy but he is very difficult to get hold of such is the demand for his wheels

Make sure when you get tyres put on the rims, that you use somewhere that has a machine with an arm that doesn't touch the wheel - Kwik-Fit and such tend to have the older machines that could damage and buckle alloy / mag wheels.

Barry - MB is in the Chipstead area (near Croydon / Caterham).

Compomotive now has SLR-sized wheels available and they're waaaaaay cheaper than the MB wheels. They're actually as light as the original SLR wheels, although obviously not as light as the MB ones.. but for considerable less than half the price you get a decent set of wheels.

Check 'em out. I have a set available to view on the Italian tour.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

>buy direct from MB for <725

They're a bit more than this, I got some 6*13s about a year ago for just under 800quid by the time you include the wheel nuts, centre caps, postage etc.

Cheers,

Ed

Another option is Superlite wheels. Went to their shop in Gloucester today as I needed some new nuts *confused* having just converted the Ital axled car to Ford studs (James Whiting kit - recommended).

As well as straight 6 x 13 one piece ali wheels (8 spoke classic Minilite style that is soooooooooooo good ona 7 IMHO) they also do 3 piece wheels with either ali or magnesium centres. Apparently mag centres come out to less than 4kgs I think the guy said.

As to price one piece wheels are £62 plus VAT (that includes the 10% discount the 7 Club gets) going up to £150 I seem to recall for ali 3 piece wheels. The guy there also said that their ali is very pure and so is good quality - they may all say that but I've certainly been pleased with my 14 year old wheels.

Depends really whether you like the Mike Barnby style wheels or the classic Superlite style. yer pays yer money...

Good luck.

Andy Couchman