Click here if you are having website access problems ×

British Made Nosecones

The Dog In The Park

I absolutely cannot get any more expenditure past the finance controller this year Mr Dog despite my wanting one. I'm still happy with the new wings so that'll carry me for a few months.

Next year however I shall be calling on you if you have any left.

In the mean time... if you ever find a way of making a bonnet at a reasonable cost (I haven't forgotten why its so difficult - just in case), I'll probably sell the finance controller to fund it.

Did I mention how chuffed I am with the rear wings? *thumbup*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

What do you mean by that?

I can vouch that these items are no heavier than the Caterham ones yet offer increased strength and a finish which is by far the best I've seen. Top quality stuff. I've now got 4 out of the 5 items on my wishlist.

I so wish I could afford the kit to make my own CF stuff. My imagination has run overtime with the bits I'd like made. *thumbup*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Poorly made joke. I'm sure the products are first class. It's just that every carbon product out there are "visible" items, if you know what I mean. If we want to save weight there are other things that also need looking at.

Edited by - TorAtle on 15 Jul 2003 22:55:56

Ah... Ok then, I'll bite... what have you in mind?

My reason for wanting CF is more to do with looks. Now I know what you're thinking but consider in this context... the ali skin is easily dentable (witness the damage to the side of V7 thanks to the gravel at that Swedish track), and the paintwork is even weaker. Seems to me that CF gives a durable long lasting, easily cleanable surface.

So, although I can't afford a new nose this year, I'm keen to swap mine next year for a bare CF one, and if Mr Dog manages to work out the difficulties with the manufacture of a bonnet and/or scuttle, I'll almost certainly go for them. Durability is the key.

I know they're looking into propshafts. I'm sceptical that they'll last. Perhaps they will be deemed a service item. Changeable each year. OK for a race car (maybe) but not for my touring car where reliability needs to be paramount. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm no materials scientist.

I still think there's a lot of weight to be lost at the front hubs and the de Dion tube. Perhaps CF or ali for the de Dion, and certainly ali uprights/hubs ought to be possible.

Apart from the donor items (hubs etc), I would reckon the Caterham is already about as light as you can get without sacrificing some longevity.

Anyway, enough of a hijack. Order your nosecones now. They're great and I'll be jealous.

V7, I disagree - a Caterham is full of compromizes, even a (factory) stripped down R500. Some of it are cosmetic, some of it are down to costs, some safety and also as you say longevity. I agree though that this hijack should come to an end *smile*

Carbon propshafts seem to becoming a standard fitment on all sorts of production cars - have a peek under a new shogun as an example. If the mainstream manufacturers think they can get away with it on a vehicle of this type then it is probably reliable enough for a seven.

imho the de-dion tube/rear suspension is in dire need of some serious weightloss - the de-dion tube assembly is damn near as heavy as some of the live axle setups out there. Problem is that this type of structural work in carbon is much more complex than an unstressed body panel.

V7, I presume you have a Superlight R and therefore have a CF nosecone anyway? If you do then you can simply remove the paint with nitromors, it worked a trat on my CF rear wings which were factory painted from new.

cheers,

Mike