Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I've broken the car

Delberts Wallet

Me and the wife have got the day off, great day for a blat. We were driving down a track to a local railway station and BANG. We hit a steel post which was sticking out of the ground.

It seems to have pushed the engine back about 2 inches and the come to rest an inch further back then normal. It has dented both foot wells, broken the gearbox mount, detached the handbrake (some how), split the fuel pipe and lifted the tunnel cover and of coarse taken a fair chunk of the sump (but no hole)...we were only doing 10mph if that.

Any more ideas on what I could of damaged?

Looks like I may have to miss the sprint at Llandow ☹️

Blue and Carbon Supersport

No.28

OUCH!!!

If you have pushed your whole drive train back then every bit of the drive train would need looking at.

My thoughts are the diff mounts could be knackered - but I am not sure how much *slack* there is in the system. ie the prop shaft is splined to fit in the end of the gearbox - how far can the gearbox move back untill the prop shaft starts to move? Does the prop hit the gearbox casing or transfer that load up the gearbox internals ?

Hope you are lucky

Nick

Double "Ouch".

I second Nicks post here, the gearbox will only move a few millimeters back until it blocks out with the prop shaft. Worth checking Diff, Diff-mountings, engine-mountings.

Sorry to hear.

Marius

i think there's a fair bit of slack in there...

but it sounds like you need at least:

gearbox mounts

engine mounts

check diff mounts

check / strip diffcheck propshaft

check / strip gearbox

exhaust mount / damage to side skin

new sump

the tunnel cover lifting could be serious - it may just be the cover has lifted with the impact. or it may have bent something underneath. lift it up (it just pulls up at the back and slides out) and check everything is square.

Actually - thinking about it - get the car to arch first and get them to check the chassis is square and nothing is bent / cracked. If the chassis is OK then hopefully its just a case of new mounts everywhere, drop the sump and get the diff and gearbox checked out by RRT.

hopefully the sump took the impact and the engine should be fine otherwise.

☹️ ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

where did this happen exactly 🤔 Its possible to get compensation if a pothole damges a tyre on the road...

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

Cheers Sid.

I've been back to take some photos of the post and I'm going to see them tomorrow to see what they have to say. Hopefully things will go OK, if not I'll have to claim through my insurance which will f**k up my premium for the next couple of years.

Fingers Crossed

Blue and Carbon Supersport

No.28