Click here if you are having website access problems ×

roller barrels

fordy

• Leadership Team

Carl,

If you want to keep costs down, look out for a s/h set of vhpd (KV6) or PTP TBs. Should be able to do the whole installation for less than £250. Beats £1600!

Stu.

thought as much,

just saw those Lumenitions in Demon Tweeks, which look rather nice. I wondered why no-one seems to be installing them.

Of course it'll be the s/h KV6's i'll be after !! First things first though eh?

Fordy,

Luminitions as in Luminitions roller barrel ones? Well at 1600 pounds I can clearly see why no-one is buying them!

If you OTOH are talking about the twin Luminition bodies, I believe they are just rebadged Jenveys, which everyone is using. Could be wrong though..

If they are the ones that I am thinking of then they are not designed to fit directly to the K (or any other )cylinder head.

They would require a manifold like what carbs mount on.

I would suspect that the bolt spacing and bore spacing is interchangable with Weber carbs.

So you have 2 options - the direct to head throttle body which lines up with the angle of the ports and spacing of the cylinders perfectly - but has the small obstruction of the throttle butterfly.

OR

The Roller barrel which needs to mount on a manifold which is S shaped and kinked to align the port spacing to the TB spacing. But you have no obstruction in the TB when the throttle is open.

I would got for the DTH ones every time. Before the R400 lot start shouting I think that their TBs although made in pairs are spaced correctly for the K and they sit on a bespoke manifild that aligns them correctly to the ports.

Nick

Yes I believe the lumenition roller barrels need to be mounted to a weber type manifold.

Why would lumenition market these at a price premium of their DTH bodies (which are actually Jenveys). If there is no benefit, why would they bother?

They bother because people perceive them to be better due to the use of roller barrels in BTCC and F1. The comment 'they look well tasty' illustrates that pose power is nearly as important as functionality (no disrespect intended Fordy).

From the tests I have seen, the roller barrels offer no measurable advantage over the DTH bodies, but they are better than the original VHPD/KV6 type which they were designed to replace. They give some interesting part throttle characteristics too.

Oily

now thats the kind of informed comment I was looking for !

Thanks oily.

I don't want any you understand, just saw them while flicking through the DT catalogue and I'd never heard of them before. I'll be looking for a s/h hand set of KV6's or PTP's that someone is throwing out.

Hopefully I might even get as lucky as Stu Forshaw !!!!!!!!