Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tonneau Fitting - Door Fastners?

DrivRich

So how to secure the side screens (full height ones) then?

Do I cut slots in the tonneau for the sidescreen retainer straps to go through?

Or make up double sided poppers on the tonneau to fit over the popper pre-positioned half way up the wheel arch - there by snap tonneau on and then make a new popper button on the side screen to fit over the tonneau? Bit messy and more poppers on the side screen.

Or a third way *confused* Please 🤔

Dave

Saw a 7 *cool*

Hitched a ride in a 7 *eek*

Ordering a 7 *wink* - Done that now

Will Own a 7 😬 - First Week of 2003 - Got Her Now 😬 😬

Up to the elbows in cardboard and bits 😳 passed Post Build now - SVA in 2 weeks SVA was a breeze (except the driver side door hinges *mad*)

2 weeks and 4 visits to DVLA just to get the registration *mad* On the Road At Last 😬 😬

Membership Number 6640

My method is as follows:

I do not secure the bottom popper on the tonneau cover, having got in the car I then put my hand through the gap and pull the door strap back under the tonneau cover and secure it to the inside popper in the cockpit. This keeps the door secure and the tonneau cover in place. This method has proved itself over 100's of miles and when I am off to a trackday allows me to put all my luggage under cover safe from rain and (when I zip up the drivers side) from prying eyes in motorway car parks whilst I get something to eat.

Andy G *cool*

Andy - thanks for that - but,

Isn't the sidescreen then not secured at all when you are out of the car?

From what you say, I guess the tonneau on the passenger side is still tight enough not to flap when you are driving alone?

Cheers,

Dave

Saw a 7 *cool*

Up to the elbows in cardboard and bits 😳 passed Post Build now - SVA in 2 weeks SVA was a breeze (except the driver side door hinges *mad*)

2 weeks and 4 visits to DVLA just to get the registration *mad* On the Road At Last 😬 😬

Membership Number 6640

To be honest if I am leaving the car for any length of time (more than ten minutes) I take the side screens off and put them under the tonneau cover. So Pee break leave side screens in place, never mind them flapping, anything longer take them off.I take the view the average thief is more interested in mobile phones than fireproof suits/underwear and my smalls!

Andy G 😬

Edited by - Andy G on 12 Jun 2003 20:01:55

I only secure the bottom popper of the sidescreens - it keeps the doors closed firm against the tonneau well enough whether driving or parked. Not doing up the bottom popper is risky IME - I've had one occassion of buffeting allowing the sidescreen to work its way up the hinge on the windscreen - it eventually blew off down the dual carriagway - only damage was the rear popper on the door which failed to hold the door and ripped off.

Rich, if you substitute one of the poppers on the tonneau for a double popper and put an additional popper on the side screen, you can close the sidscreen to the tonneau. It works a treat, especially when you want to use the passenger half of the tonneau and not take the sidscreen off.

*thumbup*

I cut a couple of slots. I just made sure that the slots were cut so that they were onto the side of the car and not the open cockpit.

If I'm leaving the car for any time then I simply remove the doors, fold them and put them inside the car - as per design.

Thanks for all the replies guys,

I will have the passenger side tonneau on mostly. I will also have sidescreens on. Hence I will go for double popper to hold the door shut on the move. I may also go for the slot - I'll see.

I have securing nuts holding the sidescreens on - all the new ones have them. A bit of a drag taking the screens off. If I scrap the nuts I get threaded bar for all to see. I could cut the threaded bit of...... see how bored I am over the winter.

Cheers,

Dave

Saw a 7 *cool*

Membership Number 6640

Bit late for this post, but I got Jill Judd to cut slots in then tonneau in line with the side screen straps, and to fit little velcro'd flaps over the slots for when the side screens are not on.

Works a treat..............