Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My brake pedal BLEEPS

Ron_F

I've just completed the build of my SV140, the PBC is booked for next week.

After a small amount of "testing" up and down the road *smile* the car has just started issuing an electronic bleep when the brake pedal is pressed.

First thought was Brake Fluid level, but that is spot on Max

Second thought was Brake light bulb, but they both work.

The Assembly guide and Handbook give no clues, although it does talk about some sort of warning (not described) if the brake fluid is low.

I suppose it could be the fluid sensor misreading in some way.

Does anyone know what the brake fluid warning is or sounds like? Any other ideas?

BTW - spotted a red 7 Reg L12 HPC in Warwick town centre this morning, sounding very crisp.

I can't wait to get on the road, but SVA not until 20th June ☹️

Ron

The brake fluid warning is just a light on the far left-hand switch on the dash. You can push the switch to test the lamp. I have actually wired a big red bulb,in parallel with the original, closer to my line of sight, because I don't believe anyone would spot the tiny red lamp if their brake fluid leaked out.

When you say a bleep, do you mean like a tuneful note or a buzz? There is a buzzer for some ancient and unknown reason in the hazard warning lights which buzzes when the switch is in transition from off to on. If it is this you are hearing then maybe the hazard switch is not quite off, and is vibrating when you brake. Try switching it on and off a couple of times. This might be totally off the wall but I can't think of anything else that buzzes or bleeps.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Chris,

Thanks for the info.

The Brake Warning light seems to test OK.

It is quite a tuneful Bleep, nothing like the loud buzzer sound from the indicators.

It's electronic and very specific to the action of the brake pedal and hence brake lights.

Has anyone ever heard of the brake light switch making an electronic bleep?

Confused of Warwickshire

Confused of Warks.

Am based nr. S-on-A - might like to meet when you're SVA'd.

As to the beep, I've *very* occassionally heard a short electronic beep from my 2001 1.6k Roadsport that I've not managed to pin down. It is weird, but sufficiently rare that I'd not even managed to tie it down at all. The beep, when heard, is always of the same pitch and duration... Almost the same as an old Seiko digital watch pinging the hour (although that was a double beep), but less metallic.

The plot thickens...

It's probably a Warks thing...

Oh, just re-read your post. Loud buzzer sound from the indicators? Is this a recent SVA thing. Mine don't make any noticeable sound at all...

Regds,

Myles

Well, I'm even more confused *mad*

As of this morning, the bleeping brake pedal has stopped! Maybe it was the heat yesterday. I ran the car up to full temperature yesterday and it sat in the sun on tickover for quite a while.

Myles, my indicators do make quite a loud tick/buzz when signalling left or right. I assumed this was normal and the volume was so you could hear it above all the rest of the (lovely) row.

Love to meet up sometime, do you go to the Warks meeting at Eathorpe? can't go this week as I am in Germany on business.

Chris, I heard the ugly buzz when switching the hazard switch on or off. That is a very different sound to my bleeping brake pedal.

Interested in what Cat Midlands may say about it at the PBC.

Ron_F,

Well, I've only had my 7 for one week - so I'm planning to go to the Warks meet for the first time next week (assuming I get the major service completed in time at Millwood)...

So yup! Good luck with the PBC etc.

Regds,

Myles